Honored Contributor

Re: How many people here still use and burn real candles?

@poohbear1 wrote:

Yesterday I got a Cheerful Giver Papa jar- candied fruit-OMG that candles smells devine..I only tried one other candle from them (think its called Hot Toddy) and both are wonderful..want to try some more of their candles

@poohbear1  I discovered this company a month or so ago, and stocked up through zulily.  They burn beautifully, and have a nice throw, no harsh scents, and the Bayberry is as close to the Bayberry of my youth as I have ever found.  Can't stand the scent of all of the other Bayberry candles I have tried, but love this one.

Super Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@poohbear1 wrote:

Yesterday I got a Cheerful Giver Papa jar- candied fruit-OMG that candles smells devine..I only tried one other candle from them (think its called Hot Toddy) and both are wonderful..want to try some more of their candles

@poohbear1  I discovered this company a month or so ago, and stocked up through zulily.  They burn beautifully, and have a nice throw, no harsh scents, and the Bayberry is as close to the Bayberry of my youth as I have ever found.  Can't stand the scent of all of the other Bayberry candles I have tried, but love this one.

mousiegirl-I agree about this company - I really want to try more of their scents-good to know about the bayberry- last year I bought a bayberry jar candle from Williamsburg that smells really nice but I will try the cheerful giver bayberry too! can you tell me what other scents you like? thanks

New Contributor

If you are using flame candles, please be careful of not only the flame and risk of fire, but also of the carbon monoxide output from flame candles.  Google the harmful effects of burning flame candles.

In full disclosue, I own a direct sales business that offers a flameless, wickless, NON-TOXIC alternative.  But, I started with this product line because of its safety for my family. And I believe in it whole-heartedly.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Getting the holiday decor up, and I notice that I am using almost no real candles anymore. 

Several reasons for me.

The smell often gives me a headache. This wasn't always an issue with me, but something about the last few years, I don't tolerate scents like I once did.

The soot. I've never found a truly clean burning candle, no matter the material, the brand or how well I trim the wick. Some are much worse than others and a few have very little, but soot none the less.

Forgetful. I have gotten up in the morning and found a candle still burning from the night before that I forgot to extinguish. It has only happened a couple of times over the years, and they were in relatively 'safe' places, but still, makes your heart skip a beat when that happens.

Just forget to light them. Sometimes late in the evening, I think..."why didn't I light a candle earlier and enjoy it", but it is almost time to go to bed, and then I forget about it again for weeks (or months).

So, does anyone still use a lot of real candles, or have flameless kind of replaced them for you?

@Mominohio  A Cheerful Giver burns cleanly, but the wicks of all burning candles must be dipped to extinguish thus avoiding soot.  Zulily sells them for less than anywhere else.

Respected Contributor

I still burn real candles also.  I have one on my kitchen bar right now that is locally made.  It is so fragrant that I haven't even had to burn it yet.  I just leave the lid off and it is wonderful!

I take my lunch to work (microwave) and worry my store  will smell like my lunch!  So I light a candle.  I have an Echo at work, so I set the timer before I light the candle to make sure I don't forget to put the candle out!

Honored Contributor

There's nothing like it, in my opinion.

I sit the candle on my LC pan that is sitting on my stovetop at all times. I have a cat, but she would never jump on the kitchen counter, and certainly not the stovetop, so it's a very safe place. Of course I don't leave it burning when we are sleeping or not at home.

I recently discovered SHORTIES candles and they are the best I've purchased, to date.  I also have a few from Ikea, and they are nice, too.

My go-to favorite is vanilla, but I like the holiday scents in the autumn.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

I'm with you.  I mix them with my flameless

Honored Contributor

I use both real and flameless.......

There are certain brands and scents I enjoy of real candles..and other plus  is I don't have to buy batteries either.....although I only have a couple of safe places to burn the real candles because of my curious kitties...and I do have to be deligent about remembering to blow them out....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

The only time I burn candles is when I'm deep frying something.  They do absorb the smell/smoke.   Otherwise I use these burners.   I have 4 throughout the house.

@debic,We deep fry on the deck.  It helps with clean up too.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I burn one real candle almost every day in the winter. It is usually my favorite "sugar cookie". I keep it on the stove so that I always remember to blow it out. I love the soft scent. I have more than a dozen luminaras going as we speak and they're beautiful, but nothing like a soft scented candle, IMO.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein