Frequent Contributor

Re: How long to you keep up your Christmas decorations? Outside lights?

On 12/27/2014 squeezebox said:

Christmas Day everything is taken down and put away!

Why in the world do you even put anything up if you take it down on the actual holiday??????

Respected Contributor

On 12/26/2014 mominohio said:
On 12/26/2014 HappyAndIKnowIt From NY said:
On 12/26/2014 Mia25 said:

I was a little upset to see the holiday decorations taken down when I turned QVC on this morning. For weeks, we see nothing but Christmas movies, decorations etc and the moment December 25 is over, it's like it never happened. The whole week before and after December 25 is still the holiday season. Back to business as usual I guess....so sad

You're absolutely right, Mia25. It seemed rather abrupt to me, too! Christmas is my favorite time of year and the most important holiday (in my humble opinion). You would think QVC thought so too in terms of all the hoopla before December 25th. It's unfortunate that they are so obvious directly after the holiday and it was "all about business" after all.

I know, right? They start with Christmas sets in July (and I'm not complaining about that) but even on Christmas Eve, some of the sets were way scaled back. They do seem to toss it out before it has even begun.

Retail stays ahead of the season. I was on Williams-Sonoma site and they have Valentines products now. A local ad in the paper was promoting spring merchandise. I think lots of stores probably have Valentines candy and gifts for sale.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/28/2014 memyselfandI said:

Why in the world do you even put anything up if you take it down on the actual holiday??????

My feelings exactly!

Respected Contributor

My parents did that when I was growing-up. After we ate lunch and opened gifts, Christmas was over. There was no Christmas season after December 25.

Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Retired08 said:
On 12/26/2014 dancing cricket said:

My family follows a superstition (probably just invented by my mother or her mother) that everything has to be down before the New Year. That means procrastinating until after dinner on New Year's Eve and then racing around the house yanking down and stuffing boxes, doing a re-check and realizing we missed half the outside, repeating the process until hopefully the last thing is packed away. (apparently "down" satisfies the superstition, stuffed in the attic can wait for another day) The bright side is that it makes New Year's Eve go pretty quickly since we aren't the late night fancy partying sort, and there is nothing like a deadline to get something done. In the years that I used live trees /greenery I would burn them on January 6th.

I love the Christmas holiday and our church music and traditions through the Epiphany.

You must be in the South. My Daddy was of Irish decent and he always believed that we had to have our tree down before the New Year came in. In fact, in Savannah, Ga., at one time, everyone would take their trees to Daffin Park and there would be a huge bonfire on New Years Eve. When we didn't attend the bonfire "in town", we had our own at the back of Daddy's property. I don't know where the superstition originated, but it wasn't just your Mother. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

i am and that is exactly how my grandmother/mother did it every year. they would always say you NEVER go into the new year with Christmas decor still up. it had to to be packed up and put away before Jan.1 came and that is how i do it now in my own home.

Honored Contributor

Only outdoor I do now is holiday doormat and wreath. Indoor most of it is put away now except for the tree. Artificial and it will be taken down New Year's day if not before.

Trusted Contributor

I only have a wreath on the door this year, I didn't have the energy or the help to decorate..so that will come down probably New Years Day.

The tree is coming down piece by piece...it's almost done. I am just not in the holiday mood this year.

Frequent Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Iwantcoffee said:

My parents did that when I was growing-up. After we ate lunch and opened gifts, Christmas was over. There was no Christmas season after December 25.

did they ever say why? I find it sad. Besides, the time before is actually advent. The Christmas season is actually the 12 days after Christmas. Why bother doing any decorating if this is your reality?

Esteemed Contributor

After the big meal of Christmas, we like to relax, even relax the following day. I cannot imagine feeling that I had to take down the decorations or wanting to spend my Christmas doing that.

Super Contributor

On 12/28/2014 Iwantcoffee said:

did they ever say why? I find it sad. Besides, the time before is actually advent. The Christmas season is actually the 12 days after Christmas. Why bother doing any decorating if this is your reality?

and that is the bottom line - it is THEIR reality. it does not need to be yours. you don't have to understand it or like it.