Honored Contributor

How do you get rid of spiders?

I can't keep up with them. They do some beautiful webs, I'm tired of getting them down. (webs) They are quick at putting new ones up. This is down the basement, but to not spray anything that could hurt my little girl dog, I am looking for other ideas. Anyone?

Respected Contributor

Re: How do you get rid of spiders?

Try putting Peppermint oil on cotton balls, or mix a spray of peppermint oil/water to spray around. I use it on cotton pads in my closets-no more spiders (Closet is where my spiders like to hid,lol)

Esteemed Contributor

Vacuuming every day upsets their lives and so does those little wall plugs that being said they still come around.

Esteemed Contributor

(can't resist this one)  WHACK'EM - STEP ON THEM - but more effective - suck them up with the vac.  That's what I do, get all the webs and do it again when you see more webs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apparently peppermint is a spider repellent that gets good reviews. Some folks get peppermint tea and put the brewed bags in corners. Also spraying a mix of peppermint and water also works. I wonder if peppermint gum might work. 

I have an old house I am constantly vacuuming their webs up and I just did the research so I'm going to try with some peppermint essence. Nothing to loose and I think the smell will be nice. 

Respected Contributor

Get a cat! I have 2 and really don't have to deal anymore.

On occasion my husband sprays Home Defense outside around the perimeter of the house!

I will say I do have to vacuum up some spider body parts after a night of indoor hunting......

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Guess I'll keep the vac plugged in. That's what I've been doing. I read the peppermint gum one to my husband, but I said I don't think we can get them to chew it. LOL

Anyway, I may resort to the peppermint also. Thanks ladies, I knew you'd all know some things on this. Thanks again!

Frequent Contributor

I know I'm going to sound dumb but where do you get the peppermint oil??? the ones thats used in baking? because we live in the country and spiders are a MAJOR problem here I'm willing to try anything.

Honored Contributor

I used to have Orkin (pest control) spray my house once a month.  The guy always said it is impossible to spray specifically for spiders because their legs have them walk 'above' the chemicals.  That would make sense based on what people here said.

I guess what you have to do is make it 'uncomfortable' for them to want to be in your area.  Kind of like a house guest who won't leave.  You don't feed them or give them a place to sleep....Ha!

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure this will work with all spiders but it will with Black Widows.... which we had a horrible problem with in So. Ca.  My Father discovered this and it worked!!  Paint (spray painting is ok... the area a GLOSSY white).  Black Widows will not nest if there is reflective light!.

Garage, basement, inside the shed, etc.  We had a serious problem in our first house, the garage and they never came back.  Our second house, we painted the interior of the garage and inside the shed and never saw one in 12 years (or any other spider)....  our third house, same thing, garage and small barn... no sign of spiders and now we're in another state and we've done the same thing with our garage, our barn .....  good luck!  Can't stand crawly critters.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*