Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you choose the color to paint your house?

@151949 wrote:

Unfortunately, the HOA has decided that everyone has to repaint the same color the builder had painted previously. So our house will be yellow if we like it or not. I don't hate the yellow but I think they need to keep up with what colors are modern  at the time they are painting - I would not want to still be looking at the 2010 colors in 2030 - if you know what I mean.As I drive around town it seems the prominent colors are light grey with white trim - a light blue/green with ivory trim that is very pretty, and for those who like a dark color a dark rust color with a dark brown trim that is much prettier than it sounds. I feel like since our homes are Spanish in style they should also reflect the Spanish colors  - and can do so with out being garish. So I was just interested in how others choose color.

There is definately a love/hate relationship with Homeowners Associations.  Regarding your situation, they at least keep people from painting their homes garish colors.  But I would think they would at LEAST let you chose from their approved colors.  They must be afraid that two or more houses in a row will have the same color, and there is nothing really that bad about that.  But as is, YOUR house has to stay the same color forever and ever and ever.....

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Well, we actually impeached our old board and elected a new one last spring so we will be waiting to see what changes may be made by them, but per the former board - yes your house would stay the same color forever and ever. And IMO - this would lower property values some as those colors become passe and new colors come into style.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In our HOA, there are probably 20 choices for the main color and at least that many color combos for the trim, doors, etc.  We have three colors on our home, plus a darker color for the front door.  These homes were built from the late 80's to late 90's and none of the original builder colors are among those now allowed.  The original color on our home was atrocious.  (That dark pinkish color prominent in the desert s.w.)  I cringe just thinking of it.  We drove around the subdivision to see which color combos we liked the best when it came time to paint the exterior.

Honored Contributor

HOA:   White or Desert Sand......ONLY

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I like to pick a color that is different from the neighbors but would complement their house.  I don't want to clash!  I also like to coordinate the color with the roof color.

Honored Contributor

I've mostly lived in all brick homes, so there is only the trim color to choose. I've always done white because some of the upper trim on the house was vinyl and that color, and didn't want to pay to change that, so any wood trim just kept white.

This house is half brick and half aluminum siding. We had hoped to replace the siding by this time, but that just hasn't been in the budget, so about 7 years ago, we simply repainted it white ( it has black shutters and a red brick as well). I felt the tans and browns I would have liked to change the siding and shutters to would not match the brick, so clean black and white to match the black roof was the cheapest fix.

Super Contributor

My son lives in a subdivision with an HOA. He wanted to paint his trim, shudders and front door, so his house looks more individualized from the others, because many of them look similar. What he did is go to the paint store and look at the brochures for outdoor paint and find an example with 3 paint colors, one of which was close to the siding color. It had to be submitted to the HOA for acceptance, which it was, so he got the go-ahead to paint.  Don't know what will happen when some day new siding is needed. I suppose the HOA doesn't want a subdivision full of pink and purple trimmed houses! Can't blame them.

Respected Contributor

If you have a HOA, you gave no choice and you know that when you buy into such a community. 

Respected Contributor

I stick with natural earth tones. My house is 1/3 stone, so I go with a color that compliments, more so than say blends with the stone. It is a darker tan right now, I think when we get it repainted down the road - I am going to a darker brown color of some sort. And, as far as the paint - I use Benjamin Moore - I LOVE their paint, I really think it is the best paint ever!! A little pricey, yes - but so worth it!! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Valued Contributor

Just a funny story about how I chose the paint color for our house.  I told the painters from the company that was doing other things for us that I wanted them to paint it white.  When they presented me with no less than 50 white color samples, I told them since they've been in the business a long time, just pick one, & paint my house.  LOL.  I loved it.