Honored Contributor

Re: How do I protect my brand new toilet bowls from hard water stains?

I purchased a box of The Works tablets and a huge supply of vinegar. 

Fingers crossed.... only time will tell.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

love your sense of humor. lol

Respected Contributor

i use vinagar and baking soda to clean dishwasher instead of buying  a dishwasher cleaner and in toilet for if it isnt going down to good. good luck keeping your toilet clean.

Respected Contributor

I lived in the country on well in the past and our water was very hard.  I tried everything I could to avoid the rings and one day I had a plumber for an issue I was having.  He more or less told me that if you are on well water there's little you can do to avoid the ring.  He also told me to use a pumice stone but then also warned me that if you rub too hard you will take the shiny protective coating of porcelain off and then may end up having a worse problem when the ring forms on rough texture.  I gave up. 

I'm on city water now and I find that in my guest bathroom I have to go flush the toilet regularly so the water doesn't "sit" there or the ring forms and every time I clean the master bath toilet I also clean the guest bath toilet as well even though it rarely gets used.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My experience with that blue thing is that it will eventually turn the hard-water ring to a blue color. It doesn't do anything to prevent hard water build-up.

That's what happened to me when I lived in the country and was on well/septic.

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

I lived in the country on well in the past and our water was very hard.  I tried everything I could to avoid the rings and one day I had a plumber for an issue I was having.  He more or less told me that if you are on well water there's little you can do to avoid the ring.  He also told me to use a pumice stone but then also warned me that if you rub too hard you will take the shiny protective coating of porcelain off and then may end up having a worse problem when the ring forms on rough texture.  I gave up. 

I'm on city water now and I find that in my guest bathroom I have to go flush the toilet regularly so the water doesn't "sit" there or the ring forms and every time I clean the master bath toilet I also clean the guest bath toilet as well even though it rarely gets used.

I know. i rubbed to hard. Left a nice mark in the toilet.

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl

Thanks for the heads up about rubbing too hard with the pumice. I did purchase it, but I don't plan to use it if I can avoid it. I'm hoping that keeping things clean regulary, along with TheWorks in the tank, will prevent any buildup or staining.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat

Ok, I got to wondering...something I do often.  I wondered if applying a car wax to the toilet bowl would work.  So knowing I usually am not that creative, I googled it.  This is an article I found.

The method: Clean the toilet to remove existing stains, then back the water out. This is easy: Shut off the water valve by turning it all the way to the right; flush the toilet, holding down the handle until most of the water flows from the tank; and pour a bucket of water into the bowl. Dry the interior with a cotton cloth, and use a separate cloth to apply the protectant. (Try 3M Performance Finish Synthetic Wax).  Make sure to open a window for ventilation. Let sit for 10 minutes, then replenish the water by turning the valve left to open. For upkeep, every three months pour ½ cup distilled white vinegar into the bowl to prevent water rings from forming.

Respected Contributor

We have pretty hard water. 

I found and use this Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner on Amazon and keep it stocked up.

It is not the normal ones you find in the grocery store or Target or even Home Depot.

Sorry, not home to check the exact name ... perhaps commercial (?) or heavy duty)?).  Anyhow, it cleans like a charm, keeps them nice and fresh and sparkly! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny

That's good to know, thank you.

My downstairs powder room is right off the kitchen. When we had the kitchen remodeled we changed the cabinet and counter in the powder room to match - so it has a white cabinet with a dark gray counter top. While I have no problem in the kitchen, I was constantly dealing with hard water drips on the gray counter in the powder room.  Someone told me to use RainX on the counter when I do my weekly cleaning. I don't use the RainX every week, but it does help.

~ house cat ~