Honored Contributor

Re: House, apartment, condo, or?????

@Marsha2003 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Financial radio host Bruce Williams said to never buy a condo. Too many restrictions. Anyone own a condo and care to chime in?

I think you have to know yourself and your priorities.  Plus, you should do your research to see if the association is well-funded and if they maintain the complex to the level you think is appropriate.  Personally, I don't mind restrictions that help keep the neighborhood tidy and maintains property values.  

Some people can't live anywhere they have rules and someone tells them they can't do this or that - my DH has been having a very hard time with the HOA. Others appreciate the rigid restrictions because they maintain a certain standard. Most of us are some place in the middle. It does take some adjustment. Our former HOA board used to patrol the streets on bicycles all day and evening, dawn to dusk, looking for stuff to go after residents for. They were pretty much impeached and we have a new board of nice normal people who are looking to serve the needs of the community. It's like finally getting to breathe fresh air. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband and I  will move into a newly built gated community for the over-55 set in September.  We are moving from the Wash DC area to a suburb of Atlanta. 

As a real estate broker, I am very pleased that this new community is NOT based on condomium ownership and instead is fee-simple ownership.  Also pleased that it does  not have and does NOT force residents to pay for amenities they do not use. 

This community is in an expensive zip code, but offers none of the  so-called "luxury" things you have to pay extra for in many other similar communities......swimming pool, tennis courts, exercise facility, etc. etc.

The HOA fee is reasonable, the HOA rules are reasonable, most exterior maintenance of homes is taken care of and included in the HOA fee..........but each owner OWNS his own home and is not responsible for maintaining fancy stuff that makes little difference to people over 55 years old.

We have already checked out the two most popular private exercise/fitness facilities in the area, which are  no more than half a mile to a mile way, and are much more reasonable in cost than the club we belong to now. 

The home is smaller at 2,500 square feet, with three bedrooms, 2.5 baths, but we will just have to adjust.  I don't expect to like the transition very much at first, but am primarily focused on the location and a release from high taxes and costly home maintenance in the overly  expensive zip code where we live now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live on several acres of property in the suburbs of Los Angeles.  We have a beautiful in-ground pool that's open all year and lots and lots of beautiful trees.  The downside is that I share it with 70 other townhomes, lol, but it's still quite lovely and we're very happy here :-)

I should probably mention that our monthy HOA fee is $400 and I've used the pool a total of 4 times in the 9 years we've been here.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 - I think what you feel is a lot of extras that you would never use, others may be very happy to get and are not at all upset paying for. You can only speak for yourself not everyone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949

re: your comment, which was.........

"I think what you feel is a lot of extras that you would never use, others may be very happy to get and are not at all upset paying for. You can only speak for yourself not everyone."

I believe that is exactly what I did.   I spoke for myself.

I also believe that the originator of this thread intended for each person to speak for himself/herself.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@151949

"I think what you feel is a lot of extras that you would never use, others may be very happy to get and are not at all upset paying for. You can only speak for yourself not everyone."

I also believe that the originator of this thread intended for each person to speak for himself/herself.

You specifically spoke for everyone over 55 - and I disagree that you can or should do so.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@151949

You specifically spoke for everyone over 55 - and I disagree that you can or should do so.

With all due respect, I don't think mentioning that you are moving into an over 55+ community states that you are speaking for the entire 55+ community.

To be honest, I would love to move into her community as it sounds like you get the amenities you personally would enjoy without having to pay for those that other people enjoy but you are footing the bill.

Trusted Contributor

I live in a custom house with an ocean view. I'd NEVER want to live in a condo or townhouse because of the HOA dues, the rules, and have neighbors that live that close.

Valued Contributor

I lived in a private house my entire life.  I just turned 70 today. My dear husband passed away and I cannot do too much around the house.  I purchased a condo in a lovely community.  It's just the right size for me, is all on one level, and has a 2-car attached garage.  My condo fee is $210 a month and includes the outside maintenance, as well as water, sewer, trash, and basic cable.  There are no amenities other than a clubhouse that no one uses.  30% of our HOA fee goes toward our reserve so when things need to get done residents are not hit with an assessment.

As far as the rules and regulations, I could easily do without a lot of it but I've just learned to work within them.  All doors have to be green.  While I don't care for a green door, I can live with it as I put lovely wreaths on it for each season.  I barely notice the green door anymore. One resident moved in and painted her door bright red and when they told her it had to be green she put it up for sale and moved out.  While I can see her point, she's not in a private house.  For me, it's a trade off.  My condo is a lot less than rent and I'm safe and secure here.  The rules (some of which are very silly, in my opinion) are a small price to pay for the quality of life I have.

At my age and being all alone, this is the best type of housing for me and I'm happy.  By the way, I never in a million years thought I would ever live in a condo but life changes and here I am.  We all have to do what is right for us.   docsgirl

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Happy Birthday, @docsgirl.  Smiley Happy

Hope you have blessings of good health (in every way) during your special year.