Honored Contributor

Re: House, apartment, condo, or?????

I designed this house and we built it when I was pregnant with our first son. It's a two story, three bedroom, cedar sided with a wrap around porch on a hill side looking over a golf course with a mountain on the other side.

We put in a large dry stacked fireplace and hand hewn beams in every room including the "country"kitchen.  Our lower woods ia a complete ecosystem with a pond.  

We really don't want to leave.  The rooms were designed around our antique furniture (there's a complete spinning wheel in the great room) and it just works for us. The windows are three by almost five feet to let the light in. When we do leave, our son wants it.  

He says it's absolutely perfect.  I was very flattered!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi  Do they change color too?  Do you have a good view?

@Kachina624.........Hiya.........I've never seen them change color.    I can see them from my back patio.......although I'm actually IN the northern end of the Phoenix Mountains (which are more like HUGE {12-1,500'} rock piles.......causing NO tv or fm reception for me, unless you get it by cable or satellite)............    Frankly, I'd rather be at the beach!  di 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

I was a military wife, so moving was a way of life.  Some places we lived in base/military housing, other places rented an apartment or house that was within our housing allowance budget.

I now own my home, a brick rancher on 1/3 acre in a nice community.  My children and grand children all live nearby.  At one point I thought about moving to a condo, but even places with little to no perks, the monthly condo fees were crazy!  If I ever decide I can't keep up with the outside, I can hire a property management company to do all the outside requirements for a whole lot less than condo fees.  Luckily though, my kids are all quick to volunteer when there is seriously grunt work needs to be done.

We too were military, and when it came time for his retirement, we got this house, I knew what I wanted and we still love this house. We are blessed to live in a really nice area and we still to this day say how happy we are to be here.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624, I love where you live and we may go out there next year for a vacation. We talked a little on it the other day, we have to play it by (health) ear. I love it out west, from here, that's out west!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I designed this house and we built it when I was pregnant with our first son. It's a two story, three bedroom, cedar sided with a wrap around porch on a hill side looking over a golf course with a mountain on the other side.

We put in a large dry stacked fireplace and hand hewn beams in every room including the "country"kitchen.  Our lower woods ia a complete ecosystem with a pond.  

We really don't want to leave.  The rooms were designed around our antique furniture (there's a complete spinning wheel in the great room) and it just works for us. The windows are three by almost five feet to let the light in. When we do leave, our son wants it.  

He says it's absolutely perfect.  I was very flattered!

@ECBG, You are so multi-talented! Your Son wants it, heck, I want it! Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Currently living in 3 bdrm house-paid in full when I built it. I am 63, planning to sell withing 5 yrs & move to apt.

Reason-No yard work, no taxes, no real upkeep. Nothing for my kids to really mess with when I die. 

Problem-No really decent apts in my rural town at this time. Plans in near future to build a complex-so I will see what happens there. 

Honored Contributor

We started out in an apartment. 6 months after being married we found our first house. Then 18 years later we built a new home and lived there for 19 years. We just retired and now live in our newly built cottage that used to be just our summer home. We contemplated a condo but just listening to our friends that complain all the time about the condo's rules and regulations.. eh nope, not for us.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

image.jpeg

In the whole world that has been Saturday Night Live, I think this is one of the funniest things they ever came up with!

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

Currently living in 3 bdrm house-paid in full when I built it. I am 63, planning to sell withing 5 yrs & move to apt.

Reason-No yard work, no taxes, no real upkeep. Nothing for my kids to really mess with when I die. 

Problem-No really decent apts in my rural town at this time. Plans in near future to build a complex-so I will see what happens there. 

@TX-starlight

I think this is a problem in a lot  of small towns and rural areas. There aren't the nicer apartments or condos available, and many of us don't want to move to a bigger city.

It seems in our area, since 2008, building has come to a halt. We used to see new housing going up much more than we have since then.

Honored Contributor

I had the sweetest client one day at the foodbank - we have to ask him if he has a place to cook or a fridge so we know what to give them. I asked if he was homeless and  he said "Oh no - I have a tent and I have a camp stove, a cooler and a basin and I wash every day." He was actually very clean for a person who lives in a tent.  I gave him a bag of food that contained items that need cooked and he asked if he could also have some peanut butter, I gave him a small jar and after that I always gave him PB & Jelly. He did get a job though , and even though he still lives in his tent he doesn't come to the foodbank anymore. I miss him - he was so sweet.