Honored Contributor

House, apartment, condo, or?????

In this country, there are a lot of options for housing. And many of us live in different types of housing at different stages of our lives.

Would you care to share what type of housing you now live in, or did, or wish to someday?

When I was born my parents lived in a mobile home, then bought the first of several houses that we grew up in. The last one we spent most of our years in was in a medium size town neighborhood and I still fondly remember growing up there.

Once on my own, I had a couple of apartments, then bought my first house, a small all brick charmer with great wood work, beautiful fireplace, and a nice old neighborhood, not far from where I was raised. I loved that house, and wish I could have picked it up and taken it with me, even though it was very small. 

For the last 21 years we have been in the country in a three bedroom split level on 5 acres with woods and a pond. I have enjoyed it here, with garden and fruit orchard, lots of country and peace around.

I can see forward to less work someday (with welcome) and think a condo would be the way to go, but may have trouble convincing my husband. And the older I get, the more I'd like to be somewhere warmer. Although never really a beach person, a place on a beach is sounding better every year.

My mom lived (for about 8 years) in a very nice apartment right on Lake Erie with a beach (it is very much like living on an ocean in some areas there), literally just feet from the beach. It was wonderful and beautiful.

So let me 'build' that dream home if money and age/physical condition were not an issue.

Old Victorian brick, on a big lake beach, lots of acreage, lots of natural woodwork, lots of fireplaces lots of windows in a place it only snows on Christmas Eve and Day!

Anyone here live in very different housing, like a boat or floating house?

Please share.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: House, apartment, condo, or?????

I live in a terrific house in a suburban subdision. I consider myself very blessed to live in this house. I'm always filled with gratitude regarding my house.

Respected Contributor

I was a military wife, so moving was a way of life.  Some places we lived in base/military housing, other places rented an apartment or house that was within our housing allowance budget.

I now own my home, a brick rancher on 1/3 acre in a nice community.  My children and grand children all live nearby.  At one point I thought about moving to a condo, but even places with little to no perks, the monthly condo fees were crazy!  If I ever decide I can't keep up with the outside, I can hire a property management company to do all the outside requirements for a whole lot less than condo fees.  Luckily though, my kids are all quick to volunteer when there is seriously grunt work needs to be done.

Esteemed Contributor

Three bedroom ranch with a finished basement and and a big yard and a big in-ground pool and was widowed three & half years ago and I'm getting sick and tired of something always needing done or fixed or taken care of and if it wouldn't be such a major undertaking to get rid of so much stuff in the basement, the garage, the shed and the attic I'd get out of here and into a condo. I just don't have the strength nor the energy, it makes me tired and depressed just thinking about it, so I try not to.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Three bedroom ranch with a finished basement and and a big yard and a big in-ground pool and was widowed three & half years ago and I'm getting sick and tired of something always needing done or fixed or taken care of and if it wouldn't be such a major undertaking to get rid of so much stuff in the basement, the garage, the shed and the attic I'd get out of here and into a condo. I just don't have the strength nor the energy, it makes me tired and depressed just thinking about it, so I try not to.

@shaggygirl

I fully understand the burden you are feeling.

My mom was widowed at 43 and left with a big house full of a lifetime of raising kids (but we didn't have half the things we seem to accumulate today). It was a big undertaking to clear things out, and we just did it in small pieces.

First, we kids had to take all our things, want them or not, have a place to store them or not (we were adults by then), even toys etc. Anything we didn't take, she gave away or threw out. I think parents need to reach a point where they are ruthless with this. Keeping your kid's things can burden you down terribly.

Next she weeded out the kitchen. Kept only what she thought she as a single person would be using. She never had a lot back then, but there were still several big boxes of extra silverware, pots, dishes etc. 

We kept going like this until she was downsized enough to move into an apartment. It wasn't easy, and a lot of memories were let go of, but we got through it.

I hope you find the strength and motivation to begin the process when you are ready.

Respected Contributor

One story home in gated 55+ community in Central Fl.

Honored Contributor

I live in a three bedroom ranch on a 1/3rd acre.  I like having 4 seasons, so no plans to move.  The house was new when I moved in eleven years ago.  When I had the yard put in, I chose trees and bushes that require little to no upkeep.

Honored Contributor

I'm in a three bedroom home alone with lots of closets, all of which are filled past capacity.  It's in a suburban subdivision on a Mesa above Albuquerque.  I can look down on the city at night and have a good view of the Sandia Mountains across the valley.   I like to sit on my patio in the evening.  Right before the sun sets, the mountains typically turn a deep mauve color for about 5 minutes.  I never tire of watching this.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I bought my first townhouse at 27 because I was tired of rent money going down the drain.  I also got a part-time job shortly after that to earn a little extra money.  So it's been townhouse, condo, townhouse, single family home.  I feel very blessed. 

Honored Contributor

I live in a 1500 square ft villa (duplex) in SW Florida. 3 bedrooms 2 baths , gated community, but most developments are gated communities in Florida these days. We have been there since DH retired 6 years ago. Before that we lived in a split entry in a subdivision in Pittsburgh for 28 years. Now for a few months each summer we snowbird to a campground near Pittsburgh where we live in our park model camper so we can spend some time with friends and family. We love our campground and have made many friends here.