Respected Contributor

Homeowners - do your research!

Yesterday I had my septic tank pumped.  The people showed me that there were tree roots in the line.  I called a "roto rooter" type of business to have them come out and clear the line of the tree roots.  They told me they tried to clear it but couldn't get past three feet and that the line was busted and they were pulling out mud only.  I asked what it would cost to fix it (line between house and septic was broken).  They told me they could fix it between $3800 - $4000!  My knees almost buckled.  They said it needed done right away because the sewage could back up in my house.  I told them I could not afford that and that I would call around.  After 15 calls (I first called a plumber and he recommended I call an excavting company as they work by the job and not hourly), I found someone who is doing the job for $650.  Very nice man recommended by a reputable plumber in the area.  Oh my gosh, I was shocked when he told me $650.  I wanted to kiss this man!  He immediately called to have a search done on all lines (gas, electric, phone) before he starts digging.  They will all come out tomorow and mark the lines for him.  He's going to do the job Thursday - bless his heart!  He told me to call him in the middle of the night if anything backs up in my house.  I'm 64 years old and really feel companies take advantage of elderly women and pressure them to make a decision - thank goodness I took some time and did my own research.  Single women need to not be pressured by people when something needs to be fixed, whether it is home or your auto.  (Before he came out, I was so stressed I went to target and got a pint of ice cream and ate half of it!)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Homeowners - do your research!

Good for you for calling around! I'm glad you are going to be able to get it done for a fraction of what the first guy quoted you.

Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Good for you for calling around! I'm glad you are going to be able to get it done for a fraction of what the first guy quoted you.

@happycat - Me too!  I'm thrilled!  I was literally on the phone all day with calls and return calls. 

Honored Contributor

I'll have to see if I can find it, but there's a website where you put in the work you need done and it gives you the average price that service is going for in your area.

Trusted Contributor

I went to a dealership to have my car aligned for $80.   They came out and said that my brakes were down but my rotors only needed cleaning.  All for $300.  I asked how soon might they go as they were not yet giving me the squealing warning they are supposed to give.  Do I have about 3,000 or 5,000?    He said I should have 3,000 just listen for the squeal.  I don't put 1,000 miles per month on my car.  Also my car passed inspection there 4 weeks earlier and they said all was good on my car.  It only has 34,000 miles so it better be good.  When we were first dating my husband taught me the basics of car care and had me help him with major repairs.  He passed 22 years ago but when I take the time to think clearly it is surprising how lessons from the past come forward.  My son checked and all is fine.  Next week I am getting tires rotated and new for the winter so I will ask the 100+ year old family tire store to look at the brakes and check my new alignment for me.  They are always honest and upfront and when I am in their town I am always told to stop and have them check my tires and tire pressure.  They never charge for this service and over the years they have actually lost money on me.  I wish they were not 4 hours away but I will enjoy the ride and hit my favorite big shopping stores on the way home.  I will put a big dent in my holiday shopping, have fun and enter winter knowing my car is ready for the ice and snow.  I dread the day I have big home repairs.  I had to have a hot water heater this summer but my son's came and did that for me.  They are handy like their father.

Esteemed Contributor

I am happy for you. When we bought this house 17 years ago on the papers it said we had a sewer--not Found out a few years later when we had tro uble andcalled rotor rooter we had a seeptic tank. They called a company that cleaned it out. It was said it would cost $20,000 to put one in. The county gave us what they had taxed  but the city wouldn't and they couldn't find any papers on the house. Reading your trouble and with my dh -died this year I worry for their are 2 big magnolia trees in the front yard where th e tank is. Yes we oldsters are taken care of. T he ac  company said the mmotor might go o u t  his year when you need the heat so naturally I was scared so told him to put one in.  The same company that sold th e  ac and heater to us. The owner is so cheap he wo uldn't take a credit card so I had to write a check.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal

I dealt with tree roots 2 years ago - and I'm now an expert. The water flowed from the outside into my downstairs bathroom, hallway, bedroom and laundry room. NEVER call a Roto-Rooter type company --- they're employees are NOT licensed plumbers and they can't fix major problems. I don't have a septic tank, so our problems are probably different. First, I'd recommend u call ur homeowners insurance company. Damages need to be in the house - not outside - but u could explain what happened and they could refer a professional plumber to come to ur house. My insurance company sent a professional licensed plumber (30 yrs experience) and he put a camera down the shut-off pipe in my side yard. He saw the plant roots stoppage in the clean-out pipe in the front yard. My insurance co. didn't charge me for his services and he was very knowledgeable. I then found a plumber on Yelp -- who removed the roots from the clean-out and checked the lines underground into the street. I then called a Restoration/Construction Co. near my house (recommended by another plumber) - and I also googled their name to see if there were any complaints against them. They had to cut around 2-1/2 feet from the bottom of many walls to get rid of mold, etc. They were amazing -- and this area of my house is back to normal. Believe me -- it traumatized me. BUT, u have to find the "right professionals". Get referrals from plumbers that u trust, ur homeowners insurance co., ur homeowners insurance agent, etc. Also, check out Yelp.

Respected Contributor

About 7-8 years ago, my drains (I'm on a sewer)started to back up, so called a rooter type place where a neighbor's son worked & they found that the back-flow preventer on my sewer drain had failed & was stuck partially closed.  They dug it up & took the back-flow thing out (they said it was needed in the county bulding codes when my house was built, but now based on the height of the house above the sewer, was no longer required by the building code).  About 2 years later, my drains started to back up again & discovered that when they had filled in where they'd dug up, they didn't pack salt around the joints & now, tree roots were clogging the sewer line. It was their mistake & the original fix had a 25 year warranty, so they had to come back & dig it up again & fix it & then , put salt around it.  I then had the trees removed. No more drain problems so far (knock wood)

This past Spring, I noticed my neighbor had a rooter type van out in front of their house, but didn't think much about it.  I had a plumber here to fix the faucet in my kitchen sink, as the hose where the pull-out sprayer connected to the sprayer had started to leak & he had installed it when I had new kitchen counters & a new sink & faucet installed & he was who the counter guy had subcontracted to do the plumbing part & he was reasonable & trustworthy (I love to hire the subs that the pros use, they know who does good work for a good price).  When he got the new sprayer hose installed (he had to go pick one up at the only place in town that sells parts for Hansgrohe faucets) & when he turned the water back on, he noticed that there seemed to be a problem with my water pressure & was outside checking it out (turned out I needed a new pressure valve), so I went over & asked my neighbor about what was going on & she was nearly in tears, because the rooter guys had told her that they needed to dig up her yard & replace the drain & it was going to cost $6K & they were pressuring her to sign a contract on the spot.  She told them she needed to talk to her husband when he got home from work before she signed anything.  I told my plumber about it & he went over & looked at it for her & told her she didn't need to have anything done & the rooter guys had cleared the clog when they ran their rooter doo-dad down the line & he gave her his card & said to call him if the drains slowed again  (so far, they haven't) & didn't charge her anything.  She was so grateful that she hugged me, as both she & her husband had had medical expenses & just couldn't afford a big plumbing bill right now.  The plumber said those rooter guys aren't really plumbers & are only trained enough to come out & run the cameras down the drain & then, call the sales guy who comes & tries to get you to commit to a big expense & in her case, one she didn't need. 

Honored Contributor

OP good luck to you if this guy can do this job for $600. The job you describe certainly sounds like a multi thousand dollar job. I have a septic system and know the prices. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

The company that does the "clean out" will disrupt any landscaping in your yard and they are not responsible to re-landscape it...will be another expense to you.