Honored Contributor

Hi Deft Decoerators- I need your help!

For the first time in many years, I have a large flat topped china closet. I'd like to display something on top- traditional and cozy.

I have some carnival glass, some pitchers, a couple pedestal glass and ceramic cake plates......

This is NOT my strong suit so I'd love some suggestions.

Contributor

Re: Hi Deft Decoerators- I need your help!

Please don't take offense I mean this with kindness.  but I don't think there is anything you could do  in this day and age to a china hutch that wouldn't make it look like you weren't living in the 60's Get rid of it. and move on.if you can't find a salvation army that will take it a bonfire might be your best bet. I, sigh  had to get rid of my shoulder pads amiss a lot of tears. but i did it. its like ripping a bandaid off. quick. like 8 track tapes don't think a china hutch will be coming back in mode. do they still even make them.?

Respected Contributor

@violann  I would suggest some kind of greenery along with one of the pieces you described. Greenery always ads a softness to a china cabinet since most of the pieces are more china and glass-like inside the cabinet.

Hope this helps a bit. Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

Hello, @violann. About five years ago I splurged on a custom-built hutch and I love it. Right now it has some velvet pumpkins on top. I wound a thin grape leaf garland around them. Try some things you really like on top and experiment a little. You will love it!

Honored Contributor

@violann,   First try the pieces you mentioned to see how it looks.  If it looks good then keep it.  However, if you don't like the look you could always place an artificial plant on the top.  That's about all I can think of that would work.  Good luck.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@snakebite60 wrote:

Please don't take offense I mean this with kindness.  but I don't think there is anything you could do  in this day and age to a china hutch that wouldn't make it look like you weren't living in the 60's Get rid of it. and move on.if you can't find a salvation army that will take it a bonfire might be your best bet. I, sigh  had to get rid of my shoulder pads amiss a lot of tears. but i did it. its like ripping a bandaid off. quick. like 8 track tapes don't think a china hutch will be coming back in mode. do they still even make them.?

I’m giggling slightly as I type, and didn’t take the slightest offense- actually I’m immensely flattered since my adored china closet is brand new today, and fits like a glove in my beautiful mid fifties ranch! How on EARTH did you KNOW?

Now if YOU channel the set of Father Knows Best, you’ll have exactly the image I’m searching for!

And yes, they certainly do make them, because the 2 piece won’t arrive for a couple months, since it’s being hand crafted as we speak.

Thanks so much ! I feel affirmed that you realized my vision!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann  A gracious response for sure. Fortunately we all like different looks from different periods.  That makes us interesting as individuals.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Greenery and wine bottles.  I think a hutch makes perfect sense.

Trusted Contributor

@violann wrote:

@snakebite60 wrote:

I’m giggling slightly as I type, and didn’t take the slightest offense- actually I’m immensely flattered since my adored china closet is brand new today, and fits like a glove in my beautiful mid fifties ranch! How on EARTH did you KNOW?

Now if YOU channel the set of Father Knows Best, you’ll have exactly the image I’m searching for!

And yes, they certainly do make them, because the 2 piece won’t arrive for a couple months, since it’s being hand crafted as we speak.

Thanks so much ! I feel affirmed that you realized my vision!

I'm giggling too, because I adore the kind of decorating you find in Father Knows Best.  It's what I grew up with and loved back then, and it's what I try to recreate for myself now....with some updates of course, you can't live entirely in the past.  But it's what I enjoy surrounding myself with, and I make no apologies.  I don't care HOW out dated and "grandma-ish" other people think it is.

I purposely put plates on the walls, crocheted scarves on dressers, and have my window treatments with white ruffled curtains and floral drapes. I still see lots of this kind of stuff in today's decorating magazines and books, but with different labels, "country"  "shabby-chic" French country, English country, etc  etc.  So, as much as some people find it too cluttered and old fashioned, there are still those who like it.

People should decorate with things that make them feel good for whatever reason. If it's spare and modern, or vintage, it doesn't matter.  No one lives in our homes but ourselves.  I used to care what people thought of my home, but no longer.

Frequent Contributor

@violann wrote:

For the first time in many years, I have a large flat topped china closet. I'd like to display something on top- traditional and cozy.

I have some carnival glass, some pitchers, a couple pedestal glass and ceramic cake plates......

This is NOT my strong suit so I'd love some suggestions.

Hi Violann!

I inherited a tall display cabinet and during the holidays I add a garland with lights on the top and it looks very pretty. Have you been on Pinterest? I'm a visual person and get a lot of inspiring ideas there. If you search for China Cabinet Display or something similar, you might see some ideas you like and can replicate. I apologize in advance if I'm stating the obvious. Have fun decorating!