Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help with smelly Dressers!

[ Edited ]

I tried Borax with an antique and it helped:

Thoroughly dissolve 1/4 cup Borax into one quart of warm water; the warmer the water the better.

Use a clean cotton cloth and dip in the solution.

Make sure to wring out excess water as you want the cloth to be damp NOT wet. This is especially important if you are working on a particle board drawer.

Wipe down the whole drawer including sides and bottom.
After disinfecting with the borax solution, follow by thoroughly wiping down the drawer using a clean damp cloth and fresh clean water.

Dry thoroughly and let air out at least overnight.

To deodorize a drawer, sprinkle dry Borax in drawer and shake to cover the whole drawer.  Place drawer in big plastic trash bag (close it tightly) overnight.  Next day empty and vacuum the Borax out of the drawer.

Here is where I found those tips:  

http://www.housecleaningcentral.com/en/cleaning-tips/bedrooms/how-to-get-odors-out-of-drawers.html

Honored Contributor

@KayinMN

I have an antique wood dresser with drawers that belonged to my Grandmother and I have the same problem with the stale or musty smell (only in the drawers), of course I live in an area with very high humidity too.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I would think that dryer sheets would make it worse!  Those things are hideously strong.

I'd also be careful with the Febreze.  That stuff is also very strong but more importantly if you have birds it will kill them and if anybody in the house hold has upper respiratory issues it can make them sick.   That stuff will make me start wheezing in a hot second.   Plus, I used to belong to a bird board (until all the stupid human tricks that caused death and damage to birds was just too much) and I can't tell you how many people used Febreze in their houses and wondered why their birds died by the next day.  

I cannot imagine why the wood would smell bad unless it is getting wet and causing mold problems.  You don't have a humidifier in there, do you?  Or, do you live in a particularly humid climate?

Thank you for your excellent advice about not using Febreze if you have birds in the house.  So many people do not realize how scented candles, self cleaning ovens and spray cleaners can quickly kill birds.

Trusted Contributor

Crabtree and Evelyn sells scented drawer liners. They are heavily scented and are a nice, heavy weight paper.

They are $$, but worth it. You can find cheaper versions at Bed Bath and Beyond in a variety of scents.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember those old handed-me down dressers and how they smelled.  Ugh   This suggestion will sound crazy but better than hard elbow work......line the drawers or bunch up in the back area with HEFY Odor Block kitchen white trash bags.

When I remove a full bag of trash/garbage - there's still a whiff of the nice smelling odor blocking.  Worth a try!

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of antique furniture so I am familiar with that stale odor. Generally i wash well with very hot (wear rubber gloves) water and oxiwash. If it is a moldy/mildew/musty smell you may want to wash with bleach in hot water then put outside in the sun for several hours til dry and then spray with lysol before refilling the drawers.Nothing gets rid of mold &  mildew like bleach.

Honored Contributor

Yuck smelly old drawers? I'd go out and buy me a beautiful new dresser!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Yuck smelly old drawers? I'd go out and buy me a beautiful new dresser!

yes, well, some of us live within a budget.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have a lot of antique furniture so I am familiar with that stale odor. Generally i wash well with very hot (wear rubber gloves) water and oxiwash. If it is a moldy/mildew/musty smell you may want to wash with bleach in hot water then put outside in the sun for several hours til dry and then spray with lysol before refilling the drawers.Nothing gets rid of mold &  mildew like bleach.

@KayinMN Please do not follow this advice.  Using hot water and bleach to scrub out wooden drawers and leaving them in the sun could cause the wood to warp. Even the slightest bit of warping could cause the drawer to not fit back in the dresser. 

Valued Contributor

Candle tarts. I had an antique buffet and the drawers smelled. I took candle tarts and place them in the drawers and now they smell great.