Honored Contributor

Re: Have you painted with chalk paint?

It's a very matt finish so waxing gives it some shine.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch....question about the chalk paint....is the finish (before waxing) different than using traditional paint?

And if it is different and you  wax, would any wax work or do you have to use the wax that is the same brand as the paint you use?

Is waxing after using chalk paint a must?  Thanks!

@Mom2Dogs, the finish of chalk paint isn't the same as traditional paint - it's exactly what it says it is: chalky, like chalk. Smiley Happy

Yes, it does need to be top coated with something for durability...either a wax, or polyurethane.

I recommend using a satin polyurethane.

I went through a chalk paint phase awhile back, and totally regretted using wax on certain pieces!!

Why?

Because if one day you decide to repaint using regular paint, you'll have to completely remove all those layers of wax that you so painstakingly applied. Aaaargh!

On the other hand, if you'd top coated w/ polyurethane, a swipe w/ some deglosser is all you'll need.

Happy painting!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini

@151949 

Thanks for responding.  I have a couple of pieces of wood furniture to paint this summer and I am still trying to decide if I want to use chalk paint or traditional paint.  I also have a lamp (metal) that needs painted, it is one of those 'brass' type lamps that after years of exposure the finish is needing an upgrade.

Honored Contributor

The chalk paint has a flat finish, not stark flat, it does have a speck of sheen to it. 

It's durable and doesn't come off like chalk.

I have the wax and have used it on some pieces.  I use chalk paint to omit the odor and toxins in most regular paints and finishes and stay away from them.

Frequent Contributor

You can make your own paint

look it up... plaster of paris & paint

3 parts to 1

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch....question about the chalk paint....is the finish (before waxing) different than using traditional paint?

And if it is different and you  wax, would any wax work or do you have to use the wax that is the same brand as the paint you use?

Is waxing after using chalk paint a must?  Thanks!

@Mom2Dogs The paint I use is not chalk paint so I know nothing about how the wax works. The Rethunk Junk by Laura paint doesn't require using any wax.  It's really easy to apply and dries relatively quick to a satin type finish.  There are some finishing products that can be applied over the paint to give a different finish, if desired.  Laura does have a website and she also has videos on her site, youtube, and her Facebook page.  Maybe you'll find them helpful.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@sabatini

@151949 

Thanks for responding.  I have a couple of pieces of wood furniture to paint this summer and I am still trying to decide if I want to use chalk paint or traditional paint.  I also have a lamp (metal) that needs painted, it is one of those 'brass' type lamps that after years of exposure the finish is needing an upgrade.

I painted a brass lamp with chalk paint - no problem - now it looks like painted wood.

Valued Contributor

I painted all my cupboards ivory chalk paint last summer. I did 3 coats paint and 3 coats of satin water-based polyurethane over top.   Looks really nice and so far quite durable. Washes off without a problem and no stains noted.  I have only noticed one teeny tiny nick from where my cat put her front feet and scratched the surface.  Otherwise they look nice. 

I did use thin coats and let things dry before adding another coat. I used a martha stewart vintage brush and I can see some minimal brush marks, but that's ok..as I'm not a professional painter. As long as they look clean.. I'm quite pleased with the result..

Trusted Contributor

Thank you as your post was most helpful as my furniture is dark wood and so I learned light go over first with the table I started today.  My coffee table looks nice and it is set up and already have put my things in place.  It was fun. Started the small table today and just added the light coat as you suggested and Iwill go over it again tomorow. Lots of groves and this is going to take longer.  Thank you again.

Trusted Contributor

What kind of paint?  I thought it was chalk?