Trusted Contributor

Have you painted with chalk paint?

I did today a coffee table that is old and has glass but it was given to me and I like it as I need the room for placing things I enjoy seeing......so today I took the plunge for the first time with Chalk paint and it was a lot of work but I love it and I did not know how I would like a light color with darker wood but it goes nicely with my creams and taupes and pale pinks.......rose really.......so tomorrow night I am going to finish painting the inside and it will be ready for show.......i am also going to paint a brown table that I have under my rose picture.....anyway I just really enjoyed myself even though I was a bit concerned.......no sanding, no primer, just paint.......sadly I have nothing else to really paint unless I paint my bed but I don't have help moving the mattresses......but maybe one day. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you painted with chalk paint?

[ Edited ]

I don't use chalk paint, I use Rethunk Junk By Laura paint and it's super easy.  It's the same method though, just clean the piece well before starting (she has a recommended cleaner/prep spray to use even if you've washed your piece, and it does make a difference), no stripping or sanding unless there is damage that needs repair.  

Last year I was looking for a new bedroom set and didn't like anything out in the market.  It was either garbage, held together with staples (no dovetail construction on the drawers), or it was beyond my budget.  I liked the style and construction of what we currently had so I decided to paint it.  It seems when I jump into something, it's with both feet - I ended up painting 12 different things over one weekend.  Replacement hardware is the biggest expense in some of these projects, but a worthwhile investment to really enhance the look of the newly painted pieces.   I have a coffeetable and two end tables waiting to be done for our family room and plans to redo the cabinetry in my lower bathroom plus our kitchen dining set.  I might even do the kitchen cabinets eventually.

Respected Contributor

@DowntonAbbey - was it easy to work with?  I've been wanting to try it but don't have any furniture projects right now.  I usually use a lighter color on a piece of furniture, then use a candle and rub it on the edges once it dries and some areas all over.  Then paint a black or darker color on top and let dry.  Then you take a very light sanding block and go over entire area to knock off candle wax - leaves a very antique look.  I like a matte paint for this technique.   

Esteemed Contributor

No, but I am considering it.  We have an unattractive brick fireplace surround and we won't be changing it out soon - possibly Summer.  I want to paint it with chalk paint.

It's used brick looking.  An ugly liver colored brick.  Looks like meat with freezer burn.  Who puts things like that in homes today.   

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

It was time taking and that was fine, I did have to go over and over the area as it was not covering very well but it still not did take much chalk paint and tonight after I go to the doctor today I am going to turn the table over and finsih the area that can been seen........so I like it and will do a table.......I surprised myself but it was the paint......a good brush is worth using and I did purchase what they recommended but some brush hairs did come out and I had to go over again after removing the hairs, but all and all it was fun and I still have to complete the task but I am happy.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know so many people have many but  taste I do not prefer, what a nice thing to do and it will make a huge difference in your living area..........good for you.  Show us pictures when you start and finish.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

It was time taking and that was fine, I did have to go over and over the area as it was not covering very well but it still not did take much chalk paint and tonight after I go to the doctor today I am going to turn the table over and finsih the area that can been seen........so I like it and will do a table.......I surprised myself but it was the paint......a good brush is worth using and I did purchase what they recommended but some brush hairs did come out and I had to go over again after removing the hairs, but all and all it was fun and I still have to complete the task but I am happy.

@DowntonAbbey - try this next time.  Lay down a thin first coat of paint.  When it's dry, lay down your second coat, but a little thicker application.  If you're doing something like a tabletop, make sure you start your brush on one end and have enough paint loaded so you can make it all the way to the other end without stopping.  IDK about chalk paint, but the Rethunk Junk paint has a self leveling aspect to it.  Don't keep going over and over a particular spot with your wet brush because that can actually make matters worse, your brush will start pulling up the paint from the piece.  It's better to let it dry and go for another coat, especially if you have a dark piece that you're painting with a lighter color.

Trusted Contributor

My daughter painted all her kitchen cabinets and she has a huge kitche. Hi

Honored Contributor

Here's a good "How To" video.  There are many projects on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUKqr58Bvws

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch....question about the chalk paint....is the finish (before waxing) different than using traditional paint?

And if it is different and you  wax, would any wax work or do you have to use the wax that is the same brand as the paint you use?

Is waxing after using chalk paint a must?  Thanks!