Regular Contributor

Has anyone ever gotten rid of their wedding china?

Over the last 25 years my hubby & I have hardly ever used our wedding china. Over the last 15 years I've not used it at all. We don't entertain (I have health issues) and when we do it's NEVER anything formal.

Since it's taking up space I've been considering getting rid of it, but don't know the best way to do it. It's Noritake's Ontario pattern, so it's not bone china but it is still nice. And it's too nice to use every day.

Has anyone else ever done this? If so, how'd you do it? (What did you do with the dishes?)

It'd be nice to get some $$ for it. I don't need the space that badly so I wouldn't want to just give it away.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever gotten rid of their wedding china?

Try Replacements Ltd. They buy and sell china. I think their website is replacements.com.

Super Contributor

I still have mine. Never use it. I'd never get rid of it due to sentimental reasons. My Mother in Law gave it to us and I loved her dearly.

Esteemed Contributor

Can you give it to your children, niece, cousin, etc?

Replacements LTD is a great suggestion to contact!

Honored Contributor

I've sold my sterling sets to Replacements. They gave me a good price for them. You submit a request to them and they email you back a list with each piece in the set and if they will take them or not and for how much for each one.

I mailed my silver in and they adjusted a few pieces that were not the best quality and sent me an email with the adjusted amount and I had to accept it (which I did) and then they cut a check.

It's a very easy process. I did it with 2 sets of silver. Unfortunately, they aren't taking forks right now, so I am sitting on 24 silver forks waiting for a run on forks to open up a slot for me. LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I inherited china from my MIL - 12 piece place setting plus serving pieces. When we downsized to come to Fl I gave it to a young niece who just loved and wanted it - it was her great grandmother's originally so it has stayed in the family. She said she is keeping it boxed up til her kids get older - they are 6 & 10 yr old boys. I kept the silver and crystal and I do use them on special occasions. My DH's company gave us a service for 4 of wedgewood as his retirement gift - not as pretty as my old china IMO but more practical to store.

Super Contributor

I have been married 50 years and I finally got rid of my Lenox wedding china. We used it everyday because someone once told me "there's nobody more important than your family". We had service for 8 and, when I finally donated it to Goodwill, they were still in tack. I washed them in the dishwasher and, over time, the platinum band did sort of wear off. No chipped plates, no crazing. In great shape.I just got tired looking at it. I'm at the point in my life that if I don't use something, it goes to Goodwill. If I like it, I use it and won't save it for a "special" occasion.

My advice: if you don't use it, don't want it, and can't find anyone who wants it, give it to charity.

Honored Contributor

Been thinking about it, but hate to do it. Hardly used it and won't use it now since I don't entertain and if I do my everyday set is nice enough. Doubt my kids will want it. Mine is also Noritake. Also have crystal wine glasses, goblets, etc. I didn't have sterling silver.

Esteemed Contributor

No. I still have mine and I cherish it. I've had a good marriage and both go hand in hand. I have given a set of Christmas dishes to a gal who wanted them and would use them. More recently, I've given lead crystal accessories away as I live in earthquake country and I don't like the messy clean up after the temblors.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I sold a good portion of my Lenox china to Replacements Ltd. But they were not interested in any of the dinner plates which I still have and use occasionally. You will get the most money for serving pieces, e.g., platters, sugar/creamers, salt & pepper shakers. Was very happy with the price they paid me--well over what I paid for my 45 pieces in 1979--and with how they handled the transaction. No problems.