Esteemed Contributor

Whenever I want to escape reality, I tune in to HGTV. Therefore, during the recent election, I watched it a great deal. I saw plenty of those house flipping shows and noticed something. So much is grey...living rooms, kitchens, bedrooms, and exteriors. I know certain colors become "IT" for awhile but this grey thing is overblown. My husband and I bet that whenever the Flip or Flop people are choosing colors, 9 times out of ten they will choose some variation of grey. The other flippers are also grey-centric. It's creating a sameness that is making me flip the channel on my remote.

Honored Contributor

Vivian Florimond, that color seems to have been trending for some seasons now.  I was reading designer Maria Killiam's blog, and she was saying that the hard turn to gray is an over-reaction to the brown Tuscan trend in decorating, which was so pervasive until recently.  People finally tired of it.

People still wanted a neutral, but they went in the direction of a cool neutral instead of a warm.  Everything goes in cycles.

Twenty or more years ago I was mad for gray (or grey) and chose tiles and even my dinnerware in gray.  Now, I want to take a break from it, just because it has been so super popular!  I do love taupes and greiges and use them quite a bit.

Maria was hinting a while back that black might be the next over-used neutral in home decor....

Honored Contributor

Re: HGTV, the grey channel

[ Edited ]

That explains why my sister-in-law wants to paint their first floor again - this time in gray.  She watches those home flipping and remodelling shows. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree - the greys seem to be ruling the world.  I don't have any grey in my home because I feel it is depressing. 

But even more depressing is the demise of the family in one of my favorite shows on HGTV.  I really enjoyed Flip & Flop in spite of the grey decor, but now that their former loving family has been replaced by close ups of Christiina mugging for the camera, I've given that up. Thank goodness for Chip and Joanna Gaines, who appear to be a genuine family.  Also Love it or List it is still good IMHO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OMG how I hate grey interiors on homes!!!!  They make me think of every ICU I have ever walked into in every hospital. Same with black granite counters and stainless appliances. It screams HOSPITAL KITCHEN to me. 

I love my beige home and I have heard recently from an interior designer that taupe is trending back in a big way because not many people are sold on the grey. A retired Navy nurse said it reminds her of battleships and government buildings.

So for those who love grey - you better do it now because it will be passe' soon.Not being someone to worry about the trends I will happily keep my beige for a while longer.

I do think grey with white trim and a red or burgundy door on the outside of a home is lovely.

Honored Contributor

Gray is just not my color in much of anything.  Some years ago I was given a lead for a good buy on a condo  (good location, size and owners desperate for a quick cash deal)  The gray bathrooms, not just the paint but also the tubs, toilets, sinks, and tiles were all gray.  Very sophisticated and in great condition.

I just knew I'd be depressed if I lived there, so I walked away.  I do hope they made someone else happy!

Honored Contributor

I know a lot of people embraced the grey but I only like a silvery grey in clothes and my hair!I think too much can be depressing in a room.

I have seen some grey in smaller rooms that looks calming and not depressing so I guess it depends on the shade and the amount.

I never liked beiges or browns except for  dark chocolate brown, like with tuquoise/teal, because it reminds me of the paint in the apartments we had when I was growing up.

The same with brick-in all our apartments outside and on schools when I was young.

I guess the things we grew up with in colors, we either like them or never want to see them again!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor
We are doing gray because we like it. Not because it's trendy. It will look great with white cabinets and grey and white countertops. Our island will be stained. That will warm it up a lot. With red accents as couch pillows and stuff it's going to look gorgeous.
Honored Contributor

I love grey; I loved it before it was on all the flip it shows.  Love it especially with white accents.  Taupe IMO is dated and never wanted it in my house. 

Contributor

I enjoy HGTV but I am getting tired of all the flipping, flopping, buying and selling.  I would love if they would bring back some of the design shows.. I have forgorren their titles, but the one where they remodel a room with what is already in the home, another one where they decorated a room to match a high end decorated room.  I miss the variety once offered.