Frequent Contributor

Prefer top load, large capacity, something that will wash large loads efficiently with plenty of water.  I have just returned a GE that made so much noise it gave me a headache.  I tried to wash a full sized bedspread in it (easy peazy for my last machine) and it washed it in 9 inches of water.  When it was thru washing, the top of the load was still dry and the bedspread did not smell clean.  I am so frustrated.  I have gone on line, to various stores, and talked to friends.  The general consensus seems to be that there aren't any good washers out there.  Govt controls have ruined all of them and none are worth what you pay for them.  I just want a basic washer that lets me control the amt of water I put in it, that doesn't take over an hour to wash a load of clothes , and one that leaves my clothes CLEAN. Suggestions?

Respected Contributor

Re: HELP!!!! Need new washer:

not many old syle of washers left but lowes and home depot sell just 1 of the old style with timer not electronic has old style agitater and fills up totally i think it may be by ge.hope that helps you out.

Trusted Contributor

SPEED QUEEN!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Contributor

I have a 2 year old LG pair with a glass top loader & glass front dryer. Absolutely hate the washer, dryer is fine but takes much longer than my 20 year old one did. The washer has @ 10 cycles but only one option that is not too lengthy to suit me. I use the 35 min wash, which is fine. All others are an hour or longer. That doesn't make sense to me. I also hate the small amount of water that doesn't get all of the clothes wet. I've learned a way to 'fool' it as it senses the amount of clothes by weight. Once it's filled, I turn it off, then back on & it re-senses the weight again which is heavier with the water so it puts more in this time. I didn't know to look for this kind of thing when I was buying.

Honored Contributor

WHIRLPOOL

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

Speed Queen!  As far as I know, this is the only "classic" washer and dryer brand left.  I bought a new set about 1 1/2 ago when we moved into a new house.  Love the simplicity.  They also offer a 3 year warranty as opposed to the one year warranty most appliances have these days.  Unfortunately, I think government regulations have interfered with their design as well, but it's worth looking into.

Super Contributor

Speed Queen! It's a basic machine but gets the job done and built to last!

Contributor

Another vote for Speed Queen.  I had front loader Bosch with matching dryer-took forever to do a single load.  When I moved I purchased top loader Speed Queen with the matching dryer.  I felt if the Speed Queen is good enough for Laundromats it would be great for a private home.  Can open the lid when the wash cycle starts to add the dropped sock or towel, and it has agitater.  No regrets on this purchase!

Trusted Contributor

I have a basic top load Whirlpool that I bought 8 years ago at Lowes.  I"ve never had any problems with it.  I had my last whirlpool for over 20 years without any problems.  I sold it with my house and last I heard it was still going strong.