Honored Contributor

HELP! NEW WASHER--what features work for you?

I am looking for a new washer--top load, probably a Whirlpool Cabrio low agitator HD type.  They have steam, wash boost, accurate dispense (or something like that), and other features I don't have.

Do you have any experience with newer washers and what works best and what is simply marketing hype?  I am clueless here!  THANKS for any suggestions, likes, or complaints about washer features!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HELP! NEW WASHER--what features work for you?

I was just talking about this with my sister, the one thing I must have on a washer is a timer feature.  My washer I can load it and set the time for up to an 8 hour delay start. This is great for me so when I roll in from work a load is spinning and nothing sits in washer damp all day. My sisters is she needs to have a spin only cycle, she said sometimes you just need a little more dryness. Good luck with your new washer.  

Trusted Contributor

My washer & dryer are LG front loading and I have never figured out how to “soak” in the washer. I want to be able to soak a few things in bleach for a while but I have to do it in a sink and then transfer the wet items to the washer – what a pain.

I own a number of LG appliances and really like them. However, when my dryer needed repair I quickly learned that that was a serious problem. I live in a major metropolitan area and there are only two places that service LG. They know they have you over a barrel and there was no urgency to come out and service my dryer. I purchased it at Best Buy along with an extended warranty. Best Buy subcontracts the work out to these two service providers. Since I had not purchased the appliance from either of the two places that offer service they felt no need to provide prompt repair. It was nearly 6 weeks waiting for the repair…that is a LONG time without a dryer!

I have learned to check out the availably of prompt repair for all major items I purchase. I want to be able to get the full life out of items like these. Whatever brand you select you may want to explore the availability of prompt/good service before you make the purchase as it varies greatly by the manufacturer. Just food for thought.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I have an old fashioned top load with agitator washer but the one feature I love is it has a 15 or 30 min soak on each load of wash. Of course it can be overridded but, really, my clothes come out of this washer so clean. All my towels are white and I love that they come out of the washing machine bright and perfectly clean, all my MU off the washclothes, everything. Much better than more expensive washers with all the latest fads. Soaking works! Of course, downside is it takes an hour to wash a load of clothes.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased A Samsung washer & dryer front loaders with the drawers two years ago and really like them. They are energey star rated and I have saved 20% on my water bill. I have a "pure" cycle which is a feature that the washer cleans itself. This is the best feature for me because I wash everything from delicates to throw rugs to dog blankets. I have to have a delicates cycle and a heavy duty cycle. The model I have has a bedding cvycle which I LOVE. I have king size bedding so this really works. If the load gets uneven the washer auto corrects itself three times before it stops itself. No more walking across the floor. I do recommend that you get the drawers with the front loader because it really saves on your back with bending over and pulling out the wet laundry.

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I purchased A Samsung washer & dryer front loaders with the drawers two years ago and really like them. They are energey star rated and I have saved 20% on my water bill. I have a "pure" cycle which is a feature that the washer cleans itself. This is the best feature for me because I wash everything from delicates to throw rugs to dog blankets. I have to have a delicates cycle and a heavy duty cycle. The model I have has a bedding cvycle which I LOVE. I have king size bedding so this really works. If the load gets uneven the washer auto corrects itself three times before it stops itself. No more walking across the floor. I do recommend that you get the drawers with the front loader because it really saves on your back with bending over and pulling out the wet laundry.

I too have the newest Samsung front loading washer & dryer. I had the same set but about 5 years old in my old house. The pure cycle indicator on those wasn't as prominent as my new set. Just about every 40 washes it'll tell me that it's time to use the "pure cycle". Love everything about my Samsungs. As you can tell since I bought the newer versions for my new home. I HAD to get the pedestel drawers since i'm tall. I couldn't even imagine how I'd get the laundry out if I had to get on my knees to do it.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I just bought a new washer - frankly, I don't need anything extra.  A couple of different agitation settings, load size/water temp - that'll do (oh, and clean clothes!).  All new machines have water sensors in them now, and the amount that goes in the drum is determined by weight, so some of it is beyond my control, anyway.  I don't have enough room in my laundry space for a front loader.  I got a basic Hotpoint top loader with a middle agitator.  $299!  Manual controls - no LED.

I had a Cabrio at a previous house.  It worked just fine (read the instructions as to proper loading sequence or it will not work right) and I'm sure I used just regular wash, cold water, most times - don't even remember what else there was.  The one thing I did not like was that the lid locked after the fill started, so you couldn't add a stray to the load after it got going.  If a load became unbalanced you had to wait and let it reset.

I'm ditching an old (25+) Whirlpool top loader.  I'm sure there are some old schoolers out there who would love to have it, as they are not made anymore.  It's noisy as all get out and uses lots of water even on the lowest setting.  Plus, who knows when it is going to go, and how hard would I have to hunt for replacement parts?  Yes, you could throw the kitchen sink in there (the new one is a little pickier about the "sort") but it is time to let it go.  I really do not expect the new one to last as long (though the previous homeowner was a repairman and he did fix things like the washer, so that could explain some of it's longevity), but Hotpoint is still made in America.

Good luck in your quest!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I have a top loading agitator washer that's 8 years old so it's primitive compared to newer models.  Features I like are a variable load size:  I can pick from 4 different load sizes.  I also like the extra spin to wring out moisture from towels, jeans, etc. 

Soaking before a wash is easy to do with this washer.  I fill it, turn it on and let agitate for a few minutes, then I shut it off by pressing in the dial control.  I turn it back on when I want it to complete the wash cycle.  You may not be able to do this on newer digital washers, but it works for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I am looking for a new washer--top load, probably a Whirlpool Cabrio low agitator HD type.  They have steam, wash boost, accurate dispense (or something like that), and other features I don't have.

Do you have any experience with newer washers and what works best and what is simply marketing hype?  I am clueless here!  THANKS for any suggestions, likes, or complaints about washer features!

@Sooner

Hi Sooner!

We just went through having to purchase all new appliances for our new place, as the former owners must have been lacking in homeowner skills (to put it mildly), as half the appliances did not work and the remaining were missing.  So...we had to spend a bundle on appliances.

When it came to the washer and dryer, determining what we wanted was a no-brainer, as my engineer husband and I were actually on the same page.  We decided against the new bells and whistles machines and chose, instead, to purchase the tried and true mechanical control units.

The one big reason we chose to go this way was - Over the long haul.

Per DH, who was a Silicon Valley design engineer on the hardware side, purchasers of the newer modes with touch screens, touch-pads, PC boards, steam and various newer "water" features are at risk for malfunctions due to steam/droplet contamination, even though the manufacturer indicates the unit is sealed.  When the control panel goes down, that means the PC is fried.  A replacement PC will cost "a couple hundred dollars."  Add to this the labor to remove the fried PC (not easy) and you're looking at a repair which can cost up to $600.00, based on where you live, union or non-union labor.

On the flip side, a mechanically driven control panel will out-last a PC panel by years and years: our first one lasted 25 years before requiring a repair.  To replace this type of mechanism will cost $25-30, plus labor. 

What did we end up purchasing?  After many trips to many appliance stores, box stores, large chain discount stores and 2 used appliance stores, we purchased used "late model," mechanically driven Kenmores.  These had been well refurbished and came with a one year warranty.

We're very pleased with our purchase from the family-owned appliance refurbishment business.  They were fantastic to work with.

Good luck and many happy washes and drys with your new appliances.

~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

WOW Thanks!  You don't know how I appreciate all the good advice!  I'm one of the ones who doesn't have room for a front loader either.  That narrows down the choices a lot in today's world.  GREAT tip about looking for repair people in the area!