Honored Contributor

HELP I need some information if you guys can help me

HELP

I am in need of a new washer.  I am looking at the Maytag HE top load washer (wash plate)  Model #MVWC415EW

It has a wash plate but the uniqueness of this washer it has a small arm that goes upward from the wash plate towards top of machine.  I did call Maytag and was advise this is to keep clothes from being pulled unto the wash plate (that is what I was told), I am going to assume also to keep the clothes from wading up.

Is there anyone out there with this washer???  Does it CONSTANTLY GO OFF BALANCE when any kind of load is placed on the washer.

My whirlpool top load augur agitator constantly balls up heavy clothes and i have to unload the entire washer and reseat all the clothes again to get the washer to spin.  What a mess I had again last night. (Last 2 yrs I have been having problems with wading up heavy loads) My husband and I were sopping wet when we got thru with last night load. Unloading all these heavy wet clothes throwing them into the laundry basket and reloading the whole washer again with heavy towels/items on bottom and work the way up with light items on top.

I do not really sort clothes, I would be washing constantly 24 hr a day.  Unless my husband's work clothes are super dirty I pretty much throw everything together.

I have reached a point I will have to wash each heavy item individulally to get this washer to spin.

This IS WITH HEAVY CLOTHES only. During summer season when clothes are lighter washer works great.  Now that blankets have been taken out and using them and heavy sweatshirts and heavier socks am back to square 1, so many off balance load because the washer constantly goes off balance and will not spin out the water..

Thanks for any input anyone can help me with.

Honored Contributor

Re: HELP I need some information if you guys can help me

@viva923  I would tell you which washer we have but I'm not all that pleased with it.  I know it does not handle heavy items well if too many are placed in it.

When we purchased, we didn't think we would be doing much heavy-duty laundry.

The BEST one I ever had was a "Speed Queen" by Maytag.  No bells and whistles and a stainless steel tub... really made exceptionally well.  It finally died!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a Whirlpool washer and had nothing but problems from day one, including what you (OP) mentioned about the spin cycle issue and balled up clothes so everything was off balance....then came the loud thumping! My warranty ran out so when it happened again a couple months ago I had to bite the bullet and buy a new machine. My late husband did a ton of research knowing the day would come sooner rather than later, so I did exactly what he would have done. I walked into the appliance store, told the guy I want a SpeedQueen....done and out in 5 minutes. The difference in how my clothes look and feel when they come out now is like night and day. Love my new washer!

Honored Contributor

Here's my take on buying new appliances, take it for what it's worth.

We all know they don't make them like they used to 30, 40, 50 years ago that lasted 30, 40, 50 years.  I'm sick and tired of spending THOUSANDS of dollars on washers, dryers, ranges, refridges and the like, have a 5 yr warranty on any one of them, warranty runs out and then they all break down.  To have any one repaired will cost you at least $100 for the guy to just walk through  your front door.  After parts and labor, you just bought yourself a new machine.

From now on, I am all over scratch & dent new for just a few hundred dollars NOT THOUSANDS.  Then when it breaks down year 7, 8, or 9 (if I'm lucky to have it last that long) I won't feel so bad needing to spring for another whatever.

Oh yeah, then there's the hot water tank that we needed in 1998 that my guy told me on Friday said we're lucky it lasted as long as it did.  Yep, you guessed it - another $1100-$1200 to replace it this Thursday.  He said these don't last but about 10 years either.  He was also amazed to see our old 30 gal solid copper one that finally gave out in 1998 after having it for 40-50 years.

No joke! 

Super Contributor

I replaced my 50 plus year old furnace last year....it will be interesting to see how long this new one lasts.

Respected Contributor

VRe: HELP I need some information if you guys can help me

[ Edited ]

I own a Maytag Centennial HE; don't know the model.  Cleans okay, but has a flaw, which is annoying.  Once the cycle begins, you cannot open the lid to throw in a lone sock left behind without shutting down the machine and starting over.  The lid locks.

Honored Contributor

@gmkb  Mine does this too but if you push the dial that starts the cycle you can stop it.  It will unlock so you can open the door and throw something else in.  Then push in dial again to resume.

Wait a few seconds for the water to stop flowing so that when you open the door you won't get a bunch of water to run out.

Honored Contributor

8 october

I did some research and purchased a new Speed Queen washer. it is a mechanical dial washer. did not purchase the electronic push button washer.

washer do the same thing, wash.

new washer is being delivered on tues oct 13.

Super Contributor

I got the hand dial one too. Hope you love your new washer!

Honored Contributor

MUCH to my surprise I absolutely LOVE my Kenmore High Efficiency washer AND dryer.

The washer is non spindle (do they MAKE spindle machines anymore?), and it DOES NOT develop the Nasty Washer Smell as long as I leave it open after every cycle.

I had developed a major HATRED of Kenmore appliances and DH sort of talked me into my washer, but honestly, it works great better than any washing machine we've EVER had. It's 3 or 4 years old and even looks and works like new.

GOOD LUCK to any of you who are purchasing. I HATE buying appliances any,ore. I can actually remember when it used to be fun.