Valued Contributor

Re: Good things come to those who wait ..or how I got something I had wanted for years given to me!

@keeper of the koi~ I have been meaning to put a post on your thread for a while now, and it has resurfaced to the first page of the forum, so now is a good time. 

Your story was extra special. I just know that you will enjoy and treasure the sleigh for a very long time. I think you were meant to have it. My cousin who lives in California, and teaches yoga, firmly believes that experiences like your story happen because that is the way the world and your life is supposed to play out.  It's sometimes a hard concept to wrap your mind around, but it's a nice idea to keep in mind. We are all happy for you.

Do you really keep koi? We have a 5,000 gallon fishpond and have some really large koi in there that my son's bought me for a birthday a long time ago. They are around 2' long. They know us and look us right in the eyes when we feed them.  We had 3 that large, but last winter our pond heater stopped working and we didn't know it. Two died, and I cried for a long time. I lost 2 children when they died. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Good things come to those who wait ..or how I got something I had wanted for years given to me!

Rosehill,yes I do raise koi I actually have 20 the larger ones are17- 20 lbs!I had 4ooo gallons until this past August , my husband had _a company come  and installed 8500 gallons with a waterfall and cave , marshland and a stream with huge stones leading to2500 gallons with another falls. This was a birthday gift from my precious Edward.  It is breathtaking ! I have been raising Koi for almost 20 years , they certainly have individual personalities! I love each of them. I am so sorry for your loss , I know you are a good koi mommy by your sorrow. I live in   NY it is very cold in the winter,even though we keep it properly set up for the extreme cold I hold my breath all winter long! It  is a beautiful hobby I am glad you  enjoy it as well!   Maryanne

Valued Contributor

@keeper of the koi wrote:

Rosehill,yes I do raise koi I actually have 20 the larger ones are17- 20 lbs!I had 4ooo gallons until this past August , my husband had _a company come  and installed 8500 gallons with a waterfall and cave , marshland and a stream with huge stones leading to2500 gallons with another falls. This was a birthday gift from my precious Edward.  It is breathtaking ! I have been raising Koi for almost 20 years , they certainly have individual personalities! I love each of them. I am so sorry for your loss , I know you are a good koi mommy by your sorrow. I live in   NY it is very cold in the winter,even though we keep it properly set up for the extreme cold I hold my breath all winter long! It  is a beautiful hobby I am glad you  enjoy it as well!   Maryanne

@keeper of the koi! Your new pond sounds like a koi paradise. They do need shelter, and places to hide. What a wonderful home you have made for your koi children. I will try to keep in touch with you when I have a question.  I am going to have my husband install another pond heater on the other side. Our pond is round (it is an old farm cistern which we filled with dirt when we added on to our home 25 years ago. It was about 20 feet deep and is about 18' in diameter. After the fill was added to the cistern, we installed a 50 mil pond liner and it is now about 3' deep. The fish don't really have places to hide, which isn't great. There are lots of goldfish in there as well. We need to find homes for alot of the goldfish, as the pond is overcrowded. There is a fairly new winery that was built near our home, and the grounds superintendant told us we could bring goldfish there and put it in their lake. But I know that many of them could be eaten by bass. I don't know what to do with the overabundance of fish.  I have a friend who has a smaller fish pond, but I won't give her any fish, because she says you do not have to feed them. She thinks they can live off what is in the water. I like her, but that is the one thing about her that I REALLY dislike. She won't listen to me. You must feed fish. How would she like it if someone put her in a cage and insisted that she could live off whatever animal or bug happened to crawl in there. Shame on her.

Honored Contributor

@keeper of the koi  So, so happy for u!  Enjoy that beautiful scene!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@keeper of the koi wrote:

On my! Thanks so much for all the reply and hearts! I am so very happy to have that sleigh and deer!was away from boards for a while , dear sweet husband was ill.Better now and we are celebrating our 23 hear anniversary today! What a wonderful life we have and had... Married life has been the biggest blessing in my life. I truly believe there is no bigger gift than to give love and be loved. Snuggled in away at our adirondack cabin , chilly  had snow earlier in the week , enjoying every minute , little Riley is here as well. Thanks again , I enjoyed telling my story. Maryanne

************** Happy Anniversary to you and your sweet husband.  Am so glad to hear he is better.  May you have many more wonderful years together!!

Frequent Contributor

Jubilant, thank-you so much for the warmm wishes! I  am a truly happy woman, no matter what life holds I  have love to see me through.  I love your name , it says all we should aspire to  be !  Maryanne

Valued Contributor

Maryanne,

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband!  Your koi pond sounds absolutely beautiful! You should post pictures of it, we would love to see it!

Rosehill,

I'm so sorry for the loss of two of your beloved koi.  Our pets do become cherished members of our family, and losing them is extraordinarily painful.  We would love to see pictures of your koi pond as well.  

Valued Contributor

@keeper of the koiMaryanne,  I am having a hard time deciding what pond heater/deicer to purchase. For years, we have only floated one in our 5000 gallon fish pond. Last year, it failed and we didn't know it. We lost some huge koi. I am wondering if we need to have more than one deicer. I also want to purchase an energy saving one. Our electric bill goes WAY up with the old ones that aren't energy efficient. Can you recommend what you use? There are just so many designs out there.

Frequent Contributor

Rosehill, so sorry . I just saw your question. I have had a problem with my little Shihtzu RILEY,he has to get a tooth removed it is painful going to oral surgeon tomorrow ,hopefully removal Tues. I have lots of info about winterizing koi ponds. I will have lots of time  tomorrow or Tues to  write while he is being operated on . talk soon  , I promise... Maryanne

Honored Contributor

You could say

A.  Pure Coincidence

B.  Some things are just meant to be

I prefer B.  So happy for you!