Honored Contributor

Re: Glass Doors on a Shower Stall

i really dont like shower curtains at all.

i like the look of glass so much better. when we did some remodeling we changed out all of the tubs and showers to have glass doors. we prefer the textured glass doors that you cannot see through fully, but let in plenty of light, and are much easier to keep clean than a regular glass door.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

You might find this page from The Manly Housekeeper of interest. He did a test on his funky shower door, and describes his winning procedure and products. But also see the comments, and the discussion of Shower Power. I'm considering trying it for my Shower of Shame, which I don't even use any longer.

The live blog wouldn't load, but here's the cached page from Google:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cacheSmiley Tongue5WN4PDVyjIJ:www.themanlyhousekeeper.com/2011/03/...

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann Thank you for posting. I read the article. I've tried everything that he mentioned except for Bar Keepers Friend. I just went onto Amazon and ordered it. Heart

Tuesday Graphic #14

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@noodleann Thank you for posting. I read the article. I've tried everything that he mentioned except for Bar Keepers Friend. I just went onto Amazon and ordered it. Heart

Tuesday Graphic #14

@pattypeep:  I would be interested to find how out it works on your shower doors.

Super Contributor

@corita wrote:

Years ago...my shower had a glass door that was just impossible to clean!  Had the door removed and now have a shower curtain...so much nicer and easier to maintain!!

We did the same thing years ago too. I would never go back to glass doors again. I have a fabric shower curtain & a fabric shower curtain liner. It is so easy to throw the liner in the wash & you can also get different color fabric liners which I change out. I buy the liners at Bed, Bath & Beyond & buy 2 or 3 different color fabric liners & they are so easy to machine wash & put in the dryer for about 10 minutes & you have a nice clean liner.

Respected Contributor

We have lived in a few houses and we always had glass doors on our tub/shower. 

We built a house 20 years ago and at the end we were running out of money so we were going to use a shower curtain for a while and then eventually add the glass doors.

20 years later we still have the shower curtains in all 3 bathrooms.  I love them and don't want glass doors.  I remember how horrible that track was to keep clean.  We have really bad calcium build up because of our hard water.  The glass was also like the OPs.

With shower curtains you just toss them in the washer.  It's great.  If you want to totally change the look of your bathroom, just change the curtain.

I do have a liner on the inside that is a plain neutral color.  Then the curtain that hangs on the outer part of the tub is decorative.  In one bathroom I have a New Orleans French quarter scene.  In one I have a sea shell theme and in the 3rd I have a beautiful white lace curtain.

I don't ever want glass doors again.

Respected Contributor

Acid and steel wool may have  made it worse. Curtains are terrible. Replace the door and wipe it down with everybuse from now on. 

Esteemed Contributor

Got glass door, I uses the product Clean Shower... or similiar and all I can say is PERFECT.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom It should get here Thursday and I will try it out this weekend, probably. I will let you know if I think it is worth it. If this doesn't work I'm taking the glass doors out with or without dh's approval. Smiley Frustrated

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom I received the Barkeeper's Friend, used it,  and it didn't make any more difference than any other product I have used. Disappointed. At least it smelled okay and I didn't feel that it was toxic or anything, so I will use for regular jobs.