Trusted Contributor

Re: Glass Doors on a Shower Stall

We purchased the most phenomenal product that gets rid of water stains. I will post the name later.  It's amazing -- it's something you can buy online or in person at their store in Roseville, CA.  I've tried everything and nothing has worked except this.

Valued Contributor

I had my husband remove our shower door after it came off while opening it when I stepped out of the shower.  What an embarassing moment!! Good thing my husband was home at the time to rescue me!  That door was heavy!! and there I was trying to hold onto the door while standing in my birthday suit!!  NEVER AGAIN ...will I own a glass door...curved rod with a shower curtain/liner all the way!!!...and MUCH easier to keep clean...

Honored Contributor

I'd be inclined to mention that as we age, should he misstep or slip, you'd hate to see him crash through that glass. For safetys sake, maybe he'd consider that.

Super Contributor

I totally understand your problem. I have a combo tub/shower with clear glass doors that I have tried to clean with all kinds of things. Nothing has worked. I finally gave up on it the cleaning ideas.  Removing and replacing the doors is just not a reasonable solution for me.

I placed a spring mounted shower rod several inches above the shower doors and hung a very thin gauzy shower curtain on it. The curtain hangs outside the doors and masks the water stains.  I chose a see-thru fabric to allow light to come in the bathroom. My problem is solved and the overall cost was not too much. 

Super Contributor

When I moved into my 'new to me' home several years ago the glass shower door in the master bath was just as you describe.  The inside of the door was etched from the soap and nothing I tried would take it away. It wasn't that it was dirty because I had cleaned it with everything possible, but it was unsightly.  

My solution was to purchase patterned window film and apply to the outside of the door.  The pattern I used was textured and looks like cracked ice.  This totally camouflaged the etching on the inside while refreshing the look of the shower.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago...my shower had a glass door that was just impossible to clean!  Had the door removed and now have a shower curtain...so much nicer and easier to maintain!!

Esteemed Contributor

@ptagirl  Praise the good Lord you weren't hurt. Thank you for your input.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@Deb665 Yes, good idea. I had actually thought about that as well. But combined with the already awful glass and trying to keep the tracks clean I'm at my wits end. I really like clean and no matter what I do in that bathroom, it's still gross. Thank you for your idea.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@henderson

prettythankyou.gif

Respected Contributor

I would remove it in a minute. The curved shower curtain rods are nice. Plenty of room, much less hassle. As we get older, have to pick your battles, lol.