Valued Contributor

Re: Getting Overwhelmed Picking Out Countertops

We re-did our kitchen last year.  NEVER AGAIN.  i was without a kitchen from July to September.  I got laminate countertops and love them.  I had picked a design and of course it was discontinued.  I got gray cupboards, black and white counter and floor.  LOVE IT!

Honored Contributor

Just throwing this out there because no one else mentioned it.  In addition to granite (natural stone) and quartz (man made compostion of stone and binders) there are quartzite and marble (and soapstone and limestone, and others.)

Of that bunch, quartzite is the most durable.  Pricy, but durable (and gorgeous.)

Honored Contributor

I looked forever before deciding on a granite that I loved.  My counters do not have to be sealed... ever.  They have a lifetime seal on them.

I chose a dark granite color.  If I had to do it all over again, I would choose a light color.  Dark granite shows every smear and fingerprint.  It's a chore to keep them shiny with no dust or smudges showing.

Honored Contributor

I have laminate that looks like granite and has the waterfall edge and unless you touch it you can't tell the difference. My kitchen is 12 x 20 - real granite was a $10,000 option that I simply was not going to pay. Here where I live a few bought the granite but the vast majority went with corian or laminate. personally, I have corian in my camper kitchen and I don't like it - gets scratched too easily.Laminate is much easier to live with, looks beautiful and you aren't so invested in it that you have to keep it forever like granite. I'm perfectly happy with my Wilsonart laminate counters.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

I spent 3 hours at the granite yard -- it was a hot August day here in FL after awhile the slabs all started "looking alike" - honestly it was exhausting.

I picked 3 out - the salesperson wrote down my choices. I went back 3 times (including the week I had my cabinets installed) I took a cabinet door with me just to make sure. 

I also went for the "upgrade" granite it was thicker since I wanted a beveled edge done.

Funny thing I picked my 1st choice as my final selection & love it! Although, now I wish I had gone with a lighter color now that I saw my cousins new kitchen - oh well - in my next life!!!

Enjoy your new kitchen !!! 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 See this would be an issue with me - if you make a mistake and chose the wrong one - you are stuck with it because it is so expensive.

Honored Contributor

The good thing about guartz is - what they show you is what you get - doesn't vary - same with corian. 

Regular Contributor

I know exactly what you mean....so many choices! We redid our counter, floor and backsplash 3 years ago.  We choose black ubatuba for the counters and starry night for the island. We choose a black single basin sink, also the granite composite material. A slate/glass backsplash.....can't tell you how many samples I brought home.  Glad it's done now and I love it!

Honored Contributor

Our kitchen was gutted too, but we "made" a kitchen in our formal dining room.... coffee maker first and foremost (LOL) and then a small portable micrbowave we had.  I used disposable plates and glasses and coffee cups but was careful to re-use some of the disposable stuff.  And the construction crew put the fridge in the dining room so it worked out ok, took about 6 - 8 weeks so I know it takes awhile.

My cabinets were cherry colored and made of Maple.  Had soft drawers where you go to close it and they didn't slam shut.  One cabinet had beveled glass doors, and the metals used were black wrought iron, as were the pendant lamps.  Every cabinet had a sliding drawer that came out.  Stainless Steel appliances.   The granite had a beige background and had chocolate and cherry-looking swirls in it.... I got lucky! 

It was truly beautiul and funny it's been brought up here tonight because several days ago (on a lark) I looked up our old house and found it had just been sold again a few months ago.... which allowed me to look at all the pictures that were put on line....  and looking at it again after five years I have to say that it looked beautiful.  

I love the kitchen I have now but there are changes I would make if I could.... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@151949

no it's the "slab" I picked but now that I saw my cousins kitchen I love the lighter slabs, except hers has burgundy & brown flecks that wouldn't work for me!

I just was focused on a certain look and over-looked lighter colors. Yes, you are right very expensive to "replace"!