Occasional Contributor

For those that remember Boyds Bears & Gary Lowenthal

This is for those that collect Boyds Bears and remember them and "The Head Bean Hisself" Gary Lowenthal. I just received a flyer from a local gift shop, Country Gifts 'n Such that they are holding a "Boyds Event-in-A-Tent" Signing Celebration on Saturday, October 11, 2014. It is one final huge event honoring the beloved Boyds Bears as Enesco who bought the company has announced that they are phasing out the entire Boyd's line and putting the bears into hybernation.

Anyone who has shopped QVC many years ago may remember the hilarious antics of Gary Lowenthal and the hosts. I remember watching just to see what he was up to as sometimes he came in costume!

Gary will be at this event signing his new book "The Ten Secrets of the Secret Society of Entrepreneurs", proceeds going to his charity, The ARK (Acts of Random Kindness) Foundation.

If you are interested the shop is located at 5145 E. Trindle Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050

More info at www.countrygiftsnsuch.com

Super Contributor

Re: For those that remember Boyds Bears & Gary Lowenthal

Oh wish I could go! I loved watching him and Mary Beth . He would say the darnest things and poor Mary Beth . It was like Joan and Kathy jewelry shows very funny !

Valued Contributor

Oh yes, I remember Gary very well. As yellowkitty said, he and Mary Beth Roe were so funny together - Poor MBR never knew what he was he going to do or say. I think they paired them together because she is such a lady that she could keep in line a little bit, but she had a w*cked sense of humor too so she could keep up with him. They were very much a pair like Kathy and Joan, just meant to be together.

I have more than my share of Boyds Bears, mostly the costumed Christmas bears, which I absolutely love, plus a couple of their polar bears and a few odds and ends including the cutest duck in raincoat and hat that you have ever seen. Every once in a while I think I should get rid of it, but I look at it and I just can't{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

It was sad to read the Enesco news, but not unexpected. Would love to be able to go to this event just to say thanks to Gary and to support his charity.

SnickersLab, will you be going?

Trusted Contributor

I remember Gary coming out in various costumes. He used to alternately make Mary Beth laugh uncontrollably or blush with his double entendres. He made his bears come to life with his stories.

Honored Contributor

I have a few of the figurines including one singed by Gary, we stood on line for several hours to meet him, wow that has to be at least 15 years ago, well before cell phone camera and selfies

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

My Mother had a whole collection of these bears. I have them now.

Respected Contributor

I soooo enjoyed Gary when he was on. I still don't know why they "got rid of him", which I am quite sure they did. Apparently someone thought he was a bit "fresh". Nothing he ever did compares to some of the things now, but . . . . . I guess things change. Wish he could have stayed. He was fun!

Super Contributor

when I see 'Boyd's' on the PA turnpike shops, it always takes me back to him. Wonderful man,,funny. and love those bears!

Super Contributor

I always loved Gary and MBR together too and have a few bears that I collected from his shows over the years. They actually still sit on the bed in my guest room. (I suppose I should get rid of mine but they sort of take me back to a simpler and gentler time in my life.)

Respected Contributor

Those were some of the most entertaining shows ever on QVC! I bought my fair share of Boyd's bears from those shows, kept some and gave many as gifts. I am sad that they will be phased out. None of the stores in my area ever had the selection that QVC had back "in the day". {#emotions_dlg.sad}