Trusted Contributor

I have one of the foldable kitchen carts with a butcher block top. Stupid that I am, I put a hot pot on it and now there is a burn ring. I tried a Magic Eraser, but I am thinking I need to get some very fine sandpaper to try to buff it out.

Any suggestions to scrub it out, other than use a trivet next time?

Super Contributor

Hi Flickerbulb~what about trying some sandpaper on the burned part? Maybe have a few different numbered sandpapers available- some fine and some not so fine. You don't want to take too much off-but then again- if the sandpaper is too fine, it may not work. It's worth a try.

Honored Contributor

I did this years ago to my little cheapy cart (thankfully, not the nicer one I got from QVC years ago!) and it's pretty much permanent unless you can totally refinish it.

Every now and then, however, I will put some of my Boos Mystery Oil on it and it disappears for a while. I also use the Boos Cream (FABULOUS!) now, and should probably try that.

Super Contributor

Here are some tips for you:

Sprinkle salt on the burn mark. Rub the salted surface with lemon halves. Let stand overnight and brush the wood along the wood grain with a natural-bristle brush.

Dab 3-percent hydrogen peroxide solution on the burn mark. Let stand.

Assess the burn mark. If it's still present, prepare to sand the surface with an electric sander.

Attach a piece of 80-grit sandpaper to the bottom of an electric sander. Concentrate on the burn area until the stain fades. Sand the entire counter top to prevent wells from forming in butcher block surface.

Change the sandpaper to a finer grit, either 180- or 220-grit. Sand the entire counter top with a finer grit to create a smooth surface.

Wipe the surface with a dry cloth to remove sanding dust.

Wipe the surface with a mild soap and water. Dry well.

Pour a light coating of food-grade mineral oil onto the sanded surface. Rub the oil into the surface with a clean rag.

Allow the mineral oil to sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Wipe off excess.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all the tips! Now I need to get some supplies and work on it when I get a chance.

Honored Contributor

I couldn't help but think of the movie "The Help" when I read this, and be reminded of the crack in the dining room table, and how the serving platter had to be strategically placed in order to cover it up.