Honored Contributor

Floor care help, please

[ Edited ]

I have both tile and hardwood flooring in my new(ish) apartment.

Tile in the bathroom and kitchen, hardwood flooring everywhere else.

Any reasonably-priced suggestions, please, for an at-home cleaning machine that would not only be 100% safe on both, but could also scrub them?

Figured since this is the first time I've had all flooring in a home (love it), I'd ask the home experts here for your experiences before I check out other reviews and prices.

TIA   8-)

Image result for gif cat sliding across floor

Honored Contributor

All the scrubbing devices I've seen reference using it on sealed hardwoods,  so you probably need to check with your apartment management and see what they recommend and if scrubbing is safe on your floors.   They may just suggest damp moping. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've always had hardwood floors.  I only use an old fashion dust mop.  The cleaning lady uses a vacuum to get the dust bunnies as I have a cat that sheds all year round.

If I spill anything on the floor, paper towels does the trick for me.

Just don't use polish on hardwood floors.  Your floor will be so slippery, it will be like walking on ice.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I don't know anyone who has modern hardwood floors, solid wood or laminate, who "scrubs" the floor.   Both types of flooring have a protective coating that prevent dirt from going into the grain of the wood, so a damp mop removes whatever surface dirt is tracked in.   I have laminate floors in half my house, and damp mop with clear water and a splash of vinegar.   

My ceramic tile floors are cleaned with either swiffer wipes, mopped with a regular mop and Mr Clean, or steam cleaned with my Dirt Devil steamer.   You cannot steam clean laminate flooring.   

Years ago my mother had a Bissel floor cleaner she used to scrub the tile floors in our house.  There were brushes and a special pad to remove old wax and dirt, then she would mop, rinse, hand apply Bowling Alley wax, then use the machine and the buffing pads to polish the floor.  

You do not need to work this hard to take care of modern flooring.   

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy, I have ALOT of tile.  Front entryway, hallway, kitchen, laundry room and two bathrooms on main floor.  I use a Hoover Steam Vac. Mine is 11 years old and works like a charm.  No way would I be scrubbing all that.  On hardwood (mine is prefinished), I use minwax hardwood floor cleaner on areas around area rugs.  Good luck!!!  LM

Respected Contributor
I floor steamer. With steam, scrubbing isn't required; it just melts the issue and you sweep it up with the pad.
Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy, if it's there I missed it.

Please specify vinyl tiles or ceramic tiles. 

If vinyl, are they commercial grade or peel-n'-stick?

Care is totally different.

Don Aslett offered some very good, inexpensive floorcare equipment.  

Respected Contributor

Do not introduce any water to those hardwood floors.

There is no scrubbing of hardwood floors, please google and read up on how to take care of those floors or ask your landlord, damaging them can be very costly to repair and/or replace.

If your kitties haven't been declawed you will seriously be refinishing those floors sooner than you think.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge

You didn't miss anything.

I didn't specify (sorry), and I actually don't know.

But I'll double-check my lease plus ask the rental manager; thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Floor care help, please

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling

1)

I have been properly taking care of them, but was just wondering about DIY steam and other machines.  

Thanks.

2)

I don't currently have a kitty companion (it's been four years), but really hope to again someday.  

But I wouldn't declaw it, as there's alternate methods of protecting stuff you don't own.

If I was a parent of any species, though, I'd always try to have a home that could handle anything they (or I) might accidentally dish out.   ;-)

Nothing in my place would ever been too "precious".