Respected Contributor

Re: FREESTANDING TUBS...YAY OR NAY?

This version is mine. I put this one in 17 years ago and I still love it. I think if you are a tub person and love a good soak a freestanding tub is wonderful. Image result for kohler vintage tub with dark wood base pics

Honored Contributor

Since I'm strictly a shower person, it wouldn't matter to me one way or another.  If I were to move, I'd like to have a shower that's larger than what I currently have.  No need for a tub for me.

Super Contributor

We have a huge garden tub in the villa we purchased 5 years ago. I have never been in it except to clean it. I'm 75 and it has become a burden to keep it clean. I have a great shower  in that bathroom that I use instead.

A realltor told us that you only need one tub in a home, preferably in the main bathroom, in case you want to sell it to people who have small children.

Honored Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

We are starting our bathroom repair and decided since we had to rip out shower and tub (which are separate) that we'd do some remodeling.  Right now we have a very large jacuzzi sunken tub.  We know for sure we no longer want jets of any type because the tub leaks and that's one reason we have to do this work in the first place.  Considering a large (about 70 inches) freestanding tub.  We have the spot and the space for it.  My husband is worried it's just a trend right now and will soon go out of style and much prefers a sunken tub.  So....reaching out to you all for your thoughts.

do we even need a bathtub?

if there are no kids who are the only ones who might use one.

are there codes requiring tubs?

If I redo our bathrooms I would not replace the jetted tub,  I am not really worried about resale at this point.

just my thoughts

Super Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Nay for me, mainly because I don't like bathing in a tub period.   I would love to remove the tub in the main bath and have my tile guy come in to do a large step in shower.   All 4 people here take showers, not baths.   

That's what I did when I purchased my place.  Was thinking of when I get old and won't be able to step in/out of a tub.  I've never looked back....

Here are before and after

Hall Bath 1 BEFORE.jpg

Hall Bath 2 AFTER.JPG

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

We built our home 30 years ago, when jetted tubs were popular.  I knew we would never use it, and my sons would be bugging me to be in it.  I wanted my bathroom to myself.

I worried that it seemed everyone else had one, but by now, many have removed them.  When we look at downsizing now, they still show these big tubs, but all I see is wasted closet space and an accident waiting to happen.

We have a very large shower that is a walk in.  It is so easy to keep clean because the water doesn't touch the walls.  I will miss this with a move unless we can renovate or built to suit.  No tubs for me.  Too dangerous and I always feel the need to shower after anyway!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

I would buy one like this.

Boyce Freestanding Acrylic Tub

Nice, clean, modern lines @Nightowlz

I'm a shower person, so I'd add a shower stall with jets - if you get my drift.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Yay.  Much rather have a stand alone, than a sunkin.  When I bought my house eleven years ago, out of fifty seven new houses only one had a master tub.  I was so disappointed.  If you use it, go for it.

Respected Contributor

I would love to do a steam shower or sauna shower. That would be awesome after a long day. We are still dealing with lows in the 30s and highes in the lower 80s....up, down, up, down...it kills my fibromyalgia.
Respected Contributor

Like the look but not for me.