Esteemed Contributor

Excuse me while I rant about our house

I am so freakin stressed. We were supposed to sign with our builder this week. After they went out to laser the land there were some costs that weren't in the bid. It added some dollars to our bid. So now my parents are stressed over about $8000. I can't take it anymore. My sister wants them to go look at a house without a basement to bring the cost down. My dad is being a jerk over 8k and acting like a baby. He hates the plan she just did cutting a few hundred square feet off. I mean I just want to scream and cry and for them to make up your mind. You either can afford it or you are going to have to make a compromise somewhere. I am done at this point. I don't think we will ever move. I mean seriously the house will ever be paid off in their lifetime and 8k is barely going to make a difference in their mortgage payment. I had something exciting I was looking forward to before my surgery. But now because they can't make up there minds and quit acting like big babies we still aren't signed.
Honored Contributor

Re: Excuse me while I rant about our house

Maybe the no basement option is a good one.  As we age, most people prefer not to go down stairs.  As long as you have a utility room for the water heater and heating, this makes sense.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Excuse me but I see it a lot different that you may.

To call your father a baby is disrespectful.  It is not your money, it's your parents money.  If it was coming directly out of your wallet I would see it different.

Digesting another $8000 is a lot of money.  I wouldn't sign either until I got another opinion.  I would rather know up front how much everything costs as opposed to have surprises a month or two into the project and I'm sure they'll be plenty of surprises too.

From a daughter's perspective, what you want unfortunately may not be in the best interest of the family.  The family is a unit and all must work together to have things done.  Your whining and complaining let alone anything else you haven't written isn't helping anyone.   Your stress is causing others to be stressed.

Take a deep breath and everything will work out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edited to add....

I was a teenager when my parents were looking to move out of an old house and go down this path.... Choose a design and a builder and apply for a mortgage after having payed off their home...it was a huge deal to them, and I was so excited. It seemed like Mom and Dad were back and forth about it which was completely understandable but also an emotional roller coaster because it was so exciting to think of having a beautiful new home.

I understand where you're coming from, having been through that whole thing three times....designing, financing, building etc etc. It can be really hard on relationships. They say if your marriage can survive it,  it can survive anything. I wish you the best of luck ! 

Honored Contributor

I'm trying to figure this arrangement out.  So you live with your parents and they are buying a new house.  You are having an operation and live with them?

Your parents are arguing about the cost of the house (which they can or can't afford)?  How old are you and how much say do you have in this?  How old are your parents?

I'm trying to understand this, I THINK I'm trying to understand this?

Honored Contributor

So it's their house and their money?  Why are you all stressed out and even involved, although I know you live with them?  Back off and stay out of it; find some other way to occupy yourself.  They haven't even hired a builder and when they do, there will be other unexpected costs undoubtedly.  I don't think WE can take it! 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

<blockquote><hr>Auntg wrote:<br>
<p>Maybe the no basement option is a good one. &nbsp;As we age, most people prefer not to go down stairs. &nbsp;As long as you have a utility room for the water heater and heating, this makes sense.</p>
<hr></blockquote>
<p>The thing is my mom has no problem not doing a basement. My dad is the problem. At every turn my sister makes to try to get the price down he doesn't like it. You can bet this house they go look at he will hate. He takes forever making a decision. He needs to stop. Either you can afford it or not. If you can't there will be compromises. The bank told them. They could go up to 432k. They are only at 368k. To worry about 8 grand over 30 years on a 368k home is ridiculous.</p>
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I'm trying to figure this arrangement out.  So you live with your parents and they are buying a new house.  You are having an operation and live with them?

Your parents are arguing about the cost of the house (which they can or can't afford)?  How old are you and how much say do you have in this?  How old are your parents?

I'm trying to understand this, I THINK I'm trying to understand this?

I am a disabled adult and live with them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

So it's their house and their money?  Why are you all stressed out and even involved, although I know you live with them?  Back off and stay out of it; find some other way to occupy yourself.  They haven't even hired a builder and when they do, there will be other unexpected costs undoubtedly.  I don't think WE can take it! 

Geez. A nice way to get me more upset then I already am. I am having major surgery in 6 weeks. I am stressed about that. That wasn't a very nice thing to say. And no my parents aren't arguing. I am mad at my dad because like everything else he can never make up his mind. Don't read my thread if your going to be rude.

Honored Contributor

All I can say is breathe. Stay strong. Let it go.

Seriously. Do you have a roof over your head? Are you safe? Then let THEM deal with this and just show up after it's all done. Hugs.