Trusted Contributor

I have a new a/c system and it came with a maintenance agreement.

The a/c units in S FL take a beating and really need to be looked at professionally to keep them running properly.

They get so clogged up from removing the humidity all the time that they need to get the pipes flushed out. It gets really gunky and the system will shut down,

Valued Contributor

My vent to the outside is about 10 feet long.  It runs from the dryer in the basement up the basement wall then out.  So on the outside it is about 7 feet off the ground...not too bad.  Anyhow I bought a gizmo from Amazon that is sort of like a roto-rooter thing that attaches to my battery operated drill.   It has about 12 feet of attachment which is all I need.  I turn the dryer on air then clean with the gizmo from the outside.   I also clean underneath the cabinet, removing a panel so I can clean around the squirrel cage fan and nearby parts.  Luckily there is a lower access panel on the bottom front of my dryer which helps with that too.   So basically I do this 2 or 3 times a year.   My dryer runs full force with this relatively easy maintenance.

Honored Contributor

@giddy up,

I'm really glad to have read your post. I'm really interested in this gizmo you wrote about. It's on amazon...what is it called and how much does it cost? 

ThanksWoman Happy

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@giddy up,

I'm really glad to have read your post. I'm really interested in this gizmo you wrote about. It's on amazon...what is it called and how much does it cost? 

ThanksWoman Happy

It's the Gardus RLE202 LintEater 10 piece rotary vent cleaning system.  It cost about $30.

Trusted Contributor

BEWARE:

If you buy the kit from Amazon, you MUST use a leaf blower or something similar to blow the lint out. If you use the device, you loosen up the lint but don't remove it.

Just using the drill attachment brush is not enough. Read some of the reviews on Amazon.

The guy I hired had those type of attachments and he then blew the lint out through the roof vent.

He then checked the air going though with a measurement device to make sure it was all clear.

Honored Contributor

@giddy up, Thank you!

@flickerbulb,

I thought about that problem, too. Seems the lint would just get loose and not get removed unless it was forced out by some kind of blasted air. 

I think I will stick with paying my guy $50 to do the job every couple of years. It's just me here so my dryer really doesn't get used very much.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee

That is a bargain! This guy charges around $150 to clean the vents!

He told me to do it every two years because I have dogs.

He said one person with no pets can have it done every three years.

Sometimes, paying someone to do the dirty work is more than worth it!

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@giddy up, Thank you!

@flickerbulb,

I thought about that problem, too. Seems the lint would just get loose and not get removed unless it was forced out by some kind of blasted air. 

I think I will stick with paying my guy $50 to do the job every couple of years. It's just me here so my dryer really doesn't get used very much.

I turn the dryer ON, set to no heat, then do the rotary brush from the outside.   It blows out whatever I stir up, which isn't much usually since I do it frequently enough.  I haven't needed to do the leaf blower thing.

Respected Contributor

What type of repairman do I use for this work?

Trusted Contributor

@HiLo

I Googled "Dryer Vent cleaning" in my area and two or three listings showed up.

It seems to be a specialty as these guys only do dryer vent cleaning.

The guy I called took the dryer apart and vacuumed inside and replaced the hose.