Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
@momtochloe Thanks! Mine is a fixed grate with slits not holes, but the concept is the same. It is such a pain. I don't want to use chemicals because I have a septic tank and want to maintain the health of the tank. I may try the Green Gobbler since it is more friendly.

@Tigriss hmmm, I wonder if it wouldn't work for you as it would easily slip into a slit/slotted area (it is very thin and flexible).  It really is a neat little tool but hopefully the Green Gobbler will work as well.  I have industrial strength hair which so far laughs in the face of any drain cleaners I have tried so that little tool has been a lifesaver for me . . . Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I keep the Green Gobbler on hand for the slow drains. It works fairly well and not a bad smell. I have allergies and chemical sensitibities so that's always a concern of mine. If I have a tough, problem drain then I use Drain Daddy (QVC) or Professor Amos drain cleaner (HSN) . Again, the scent is not bad.

Honored Contributor

The Q used to sell something like this but I don't see it anymore. Wonder how well this works? This one is called a DRAIN WIG:

Lovely-Cute-Bathroom-Shower-Drain-Wig-Chain-Cleaning.jpg

Contributor

Thank you for telling me about the lye. Now I will have to find another way. At least I only used it 2 times.

Trusted Contributor

I swear by Zep Drain Cleaner. They sell it at Home Depot in a big red jug.  Pour the WHOLE JUG down the drain, wait a few hours, then flush with hottest possible water.  

Honored Contributor

Agree!   

All Zep products are very good, they only used to be available in industrial & commercial applications.

@RazorSharp wrote:

I swear by Zep Drain Cleaner. They sell it at Home Depot in a big red jug.  Pour the WHOLE JUG down the drain, wait a few hours, then flush with hottest possible water.  

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I bought a product on Amazon which is better than any chemical drain cleaner if hair is the problem.  They are long strips of plastic with barbs on them.  You thread them into the drain, then pull them out.  All the gunk comes out with them and you throw the whole mess away.

20161021_171407.png

EEuuww...I don't even want to be in the same room when those are pulled out....ickySmiley Tongue

I don't either LOL. I just ordered these last night. My housekeeper swears by them and she said she would do the deed.

Respected Contributor

I swear by Green Gobbler.  I buy it in the 3 pack and it comes with that plastic hair grabber. 

It's disgusting what comes out of the drain, but I do it every month.  My daughter has long hair, and I even put one of those little strainers over the drain to catch the hair.  It must be the combination of conditioner and hair that just makes it run slow. 

Super Contributor
The Green Gobbler will damage surfaces if you have a "bath fitters" kind of tub and shower. Learned the hard way!😩
Respected Contributor

I was all set to head to the hardware store to get some drain cleaner and remembered an old trick.  I just removed the stopper and pulled it out and all the black gunk and hair came with it.  It was absolutely disgusting!  I cleaned the stopper off and re-installed it and the slow drain was back to normal  I encourage anyone to try this before putting chemicals and possible harming the finish on your stopper.  It's easy to do, just check under the sink, and I only had to unscrew one part...(no water came out because I waited for it to drain-it was slow/not completely clogged), removed and cleaned the stopper and re-installed and it saved me about $10 or more!  Worked for tub as well.  I unscrewed the stopper, removed all the hair and soap scum and screwed it back in. 

......You look like I need a drink.....