Respected Contributor

Re: Dr. Oz Investigation; Scented Candles

[ Edited ]

@millieshops, I respect anyone having sensitivity issues causing health reactions.  In fact my sister cannot tolerate much of the same things you react to.  In my initial post, I would love to know if the same holds true for melting tarts.  That is different than a candle.  However, I use tealights ((around 9 a day) which have a wick, etc.  Again, scent is a very personal thing.  

Honored Contributor

I watched Dr. Oz when he first came on. Now he's overboard. I quit watching long time ago. He may be a reputable heart surgeon but not on his show. They don't make candles with lead wicks anymore. Lead wicks were banned in 2003 but voluntarily pulled before that. I used a braided cotton wick or a zinc wick when I was making candles.

Valued Contributor

@scotnovel, I got very ill years ago, and after all the dust settled, I ended up with a condition the doctors called, "Multiple Chemical Sensitivity" (MCS).  When before I would get sinus headaches around certain strong perfumes, suddenly I was hyper-sensitive to many different scents & chemicals...bleach, most perfumes, Dawn dish detergent is amongst the worst, and 'new car smell'. Omg.  We bought a new car, it was absolutely beautiful, and our family loved it:  A Chevy Tahoe, top of the line model.  Whenever I got into it, I would have symptoms as if I was coming down with a very serious deadly flu strain.  I felt like death, it was absolutely miserable & horrible.

I talked to my doctor & consulted with many different experts:  what can I do?  What is causing this?

They said I could try running the heater (it was the middle of summer) in the car for hours, and try to get all the toxic glues & chemicals they use in new cars, to dissapate.  We did that, to no avail.  As soon as I would get into our beautiful new car, my throat would start closing up, my eyes would burn & water, my ears & throat would itch, and I would start feeling horribly nauseous & get a massive headache to end all headaches.  This effect would last for at least an entire week, as if I had just come down with a serious flu virus.  

Finally, I couldn't endure it anymore, and I had to avoid this car for an entire year.  It took that long for all the toxins to dissapate to a safe enough level for me, the 'canary in the coalmine,' to not have symptoms so severe that I couldn't go for a ride.  I would still have symptoms, mind you--but at least I could tolerate them.  

But I felt these symptoms because I became hyper-sensitive after contracting a major illness...what about other people, how does it manifest within them?  Because as the proverbial canary in the coalmine, it may hit me harder at first, but maybe it hits other people in a more silent but deadly way?  

Sure did make me wonder.  The bottom line is, there are far too many deadly chemicals in use today, and we take it for granted that these chemicals are probably safe around us.  But I have to say, I don't think so.  They just haven't discovered how bad it can be, yet.  Or aren't saying so, in order to make a profit off of us...and our misery that their chemicals cause.  

With MCS, I cannot use scented candles, although I would love to be able to enjoy them.  So, does that mean they are bad for everybody?  Makes a person wonder, doesn't it? 

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Super Contributor

I don't want to believe so many things in our everyday lives can hurt us, but I do worry that there is a connection between deadly disease and our modern lifestyles, full of conveniences that previous generations never had. Little things like this seem to be adding up quickly against our health...

Valued Contributor

@SerenityNowMyndi wrote:

@scotnovel, I got very ill years ago, and after all the dust settled, I ended up with a condition the doctors called, "Multiple Chemical Sensitivity" (MCS).  When before I would get sinus headaches around certain strong perfumes, suddenly I was hyper-sensitive to many different scents & chemicals...bleach, most perfumes, Dawn dish detergent is amongst the worst, and 'new car smell'. Omg.  We bought a new car, it was absolutely beautiful, and our family loved it:  A Chevy Tahoe, top of the line model.  Whenever I got into it, I would have symptoms as if I was coming down with a very serious deadly flu strain.  I felt like death, it was absolutely miserable & horrible.

I talked to my doctor & consulted with many different experts:  what can I do?  What is causing this?

They said I could try running the heater (it was the middle of summer) in the car for hours, and try to get all the toxic glues & chemicals they use in new cars, to dissapate.  We did that, to no avail.  As soon as I would get into our beautiful new car, my throat would start closing up, my eyes would burn & water, my ears & throat would itch, and I would start feeling horribly nauseous & get a massive headache to end all headaches.  This effect would last for at least an entire week, as if I had just come down with a serious flu virus.  

Finally, I couldn't endure it anymore, and I had to avoid this car for an entire year.  It took that long for all the toxins to dissapate to a safe enough level for me, the 'canary in the coalmine,' to not have symptoms so severe that I couldn't go for a ride.  I would still have symptoms, mind you--but at least I could tolerate them.  

But I felt these symptoms because I became hyper-sensitive after contracting a major illness...what about other people, how does it manifest within them?  Because as the proverbial canary in the coalmine, it may hit me harder at first, but maybe it hits other people in a more silent but deadly way?  

Sure did make me wonder.  The bottom line is, there are far too many deadly chemicals in use today, and we take it for granted that these chemicals are probably safe around us.  But I have to say, I don't think so.  They just haven't discovered how bad it can be, yet.  Or aren't saying so, in order to make a profit off of us...and our misery that their chemicals cause.  

With MCS, I cannot use scented candles, although I would love to be able to enjoy them.  So, does that mean they are bad for everybody?  Makes a person wonder, doesn't it? 

======

SerenityNow, I totally identify with you on the sensitivities.  It's very frustrating.  Especially when I go to the Drs. and am, asked, "Allergic to anything?"  Ugh.  Yes, like the "whole world".

Spoiler

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't blame Dr. Oz by saying he makes up things.  He's getting this from recent news reports of medical research done, etc.  He's not the one making things up.

Respected Contributor

@Anniecamp wrote:

@SerenityNowMyndi wrote:

======

SerenityNow, I totally identify with you on the sensitivities.  It's very frustrating.  Especially when I go to the Drs. and am, asked, "Allergic to anything?"  Ugh.  Yes, like the "whole world".

Spoiler

@Anniecamp  Me too. I reacted to the saline when they tried skin testing. Had to get bloodwork. Funny thing, I'm allergic to all the normal grasses, trees, and pollens, etc., but no foods, or much of anything else but dust. Something weird is going on, but they don't really know. MCS has been thrown around some too. It's so annoying!!

Honored Contributor

I feel really lucky not to be allergic to scented candles.  It would be really difficult to have to give up living in a nice smelling house.  But, I know people have to if it bothers them.  I'm really sorry for those of you suffering with allergies.

Trusted Contributor

Life is a risk.  None of us will get out alive.  Enjoy it!  Don't worry about every little thing.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

That's why I don't watch Dr. Oz anymore - he can come up with 10 things in one day that are not good for you - way too much information - everything is potentially dangerous according to him.  I wouldn't worry about candles -I think that's the least of our worries.

And another 10 things you should take, none of them cheap.

I watched about a week and that was more than enough.  I see the ads and I think "If you are alive, you might be dieing"

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*