Trusted Contributor

Re: Don Aslett's Web Site Closing Down

@chickenbutt Oh how I wish we could still purchase a Stan Herman robe with his original quality.  Mine is finally seeing its last days and I can't find a robe anywhere made like it.  I always wondered if Q was partly responsible in the lack of quality, insisting that items be made cheaper so profits go increase. Sure hope not.

Honored Contributor

Don also had great cleaning books.  Anyone remember "Clutter's Last Stand"? I too agree that quality has diminished.  Others have said how clothing from Stan Herman or QF was better 20 years ago. I have some of those items that no longer fit but I won't throw them away.  I guess I didn't follow all of Don's advice about getting rid of things you no longer use!

Trusted Contributor

Auntg, yes, I read all of his decluttering books. I love the topic of cleaning and decluttering. When I was reading them I was going through every room and seriously getting rid of things, preparing to move. Some things I really regret letting go--like some of my mother's handwritten recipe cards because I thought I'd never make them. One of my very foolish, sad regrets.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I currently have 2 of his products in my "Wish List" that are sold out,  I  have always enjoyed his products and have purchased quite a few over the years, sorry to hear this!

Honored Contributor

This post is from March 2016.  Don Aslett's website is still there, and his products are sold on Amazon.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I agree about products (in general) downgrading quality once the product lines become popular.

I've had this happen with several products I've purchased from QVC over the years.  They build a reputation with quality products and then they start cutting costs on quality, often, very soon thereafter.

One of the ones that sticks out in my mind is a Stan Herman fleece robe I got from QVC years ago.  I liked it so much that, within a few months, I ordered another one.  The difference in quality and fabric weight was profound.  I was really disappointed.  But that was probably when I first saw that sort of thing happening.

As to Aslett - good that they will still be able to sell their products through other venues.  

@chickenbutt

I think quality of material as a whole has gone down .....my sis purchased a t-shirt at Dillards, when she went back to get another color, it didnt feel like the same material at all......some say the price of cotton has gone up because of a shortage:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA’s) first 2016/17 world cotton projectionsanticipate that consumption will exceed production for the second consecutive year.

Global 2015/16 cotton production is expected to fall 15 percent from the previous year to 101.4million bales, as all major production areas exceptAustralia saw declines and the four largest—India, China, the United States, and Pakistan—fell sharply.
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@chickenbutt Oh how I wish we could still purchase a Stan Herman robe with his original quality.  Mine is finally seeing its last days and I can't find a robe anywhere made like it.  I always wondered if Q was partly responsible in the lack of quality, insisting that items be made cheaper so profits go increase. Sure hope not.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Hello @chlema,

"SO" glad that you had mentioned the fantastic QUALITY of any Stan Herman Robe( S) from {{{{{even}}}}} 10 years ago, not touching base with what he had 15 years ago......Just superior!

I bought 3 of his last zip ups made from a new fabric he created and presented starting from 2016 in October. 

I had NOT seen Stan Herman promoting anything for several years like (those) of pure cotton chenille!!!!!!!

Speaking of Don Aslette's many products, I believe I have bought 3-6 of anything he sold under his name for years, especially the _____almost can't wear out large outside rugs which I still have from 9 years ago....Excellent condition- still. I did purchase 2 of his 24x36" one month ago. These have not been use, so I have no way in knowing how long the 'same' will be (*vs*) ours```` `` in use older ones. 

I DO know I buy 99% less than I did from QVC compared to what I do purchase 6 years ago. !!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!

I have just ( about) 80% of all clothing purchased from the former lines which are beautiful, as new when first bought, so I can testify to QVC changes. 

Their s\h is ridiculously high...That should never be, their vendor's clothing is close to very poor. 

Although, I have no problem paying $6-7.00 for a I skimpily made in China whatever, I have no incentive to buy anymore. 

What I do purchase -still- would be Josie Maran or some skin products from other brands offered there, UNTIL the made in USA is gone and sold to a foreign country which is never the same. I have DONE this, so I do definitely compare. I still have new - still in the box Aslette's micro cloths that just do not wear out. Cheap stuff is what I am going to say! NOW! Will give lock'N Lock high points, but even those have a few that are defective when purchasing a 32 PC set. 

So, now I am back to Amazon purchasing hard to find items or staying with a made in USA website. 

I have never been on any chat forum, here, complaining about any [•said product•] until now, so this hopefully will be my 1st and last. 

Shopping for quality, not more of China stuFFing. 

NAES

"and have a wonderful day.... I know that I will".

Honored Contributor

SPURT wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

I agree about products (in general) downgrading quality once the product lines become popular.

I've had this happen with several products I've purchased from QVC over the years.  They build a reputation with quality products and then they start cutting costs on quality, often, very soon thereafter.

One of the ones that sticks out in my mind is a Stan Herman fleece robe I got from QVC years ago.  I liked it so much that, within a few months, I ordered another one.  The difference in quality and fabric weight was profound.  I was really disappointed.  But that was probably when I first saw that sort of thing happening.

As to Aslett - good that they will still be able to sell their products through other venues.  

@chickenbutt

I think quality of material as a whole has gone down .....my sis purchased a t-shirt at Dillards, when she went back to get another color, it didnt feel like the same material at all......some say the price of cotton has gone up because of a shortage:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA’s) first 2016/17 world cotton projectionsanticipate that consumption will exceed production for the second consecutive year.

Global 2015/16 cotton production is expected to fall 15 percent from the previous year to 101.4million bales, as all major production areas exceptAustralia saw declines and the four largest—India, China, the United States, and Pakistan—fell sharply.

That is disheartening.   I'm a total cotton girl!   Smiley Sad