Trusted Contributor

Don Aslett's Web Site Closing Down

There are a few Don Aslett products here on QVC so if there is something you want, I would suggest you purchase it.  His website and mail order business is going to close at the end of March, after 30 years.  Some products are reduced and there is a reduced shipping charge if your order meets the minimum purchase.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Don Aslett's Web Site Closing Down

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the update.  Here's how Don explains it on the website:

"It was a difficult decision, but the rising costs of shipping have made it very hard for us to offer our products at a competitive price with affordable shipping rates.

We will continue to offer your favorite items through our stores and web sites other than our own. More information on how you can purchase Don Aslett products in the future will become available as we finalize the details. Please continue to watch for e-mails regarding this subject."

Respected Contributor

When he first came to QVC I purchased several of his outdoor mats.  They lasted for years.  When they finally wore out I purchased two more and they were so cheaply made.   Within a few weeks the seams started to come apart and I ended up cutting both of them in half and thereby having two much smaller mat on my front and back door than I wanted.  The mats quickly deteriorated and within two months I just threw them away.

After that I  lost confidence in the company and I don't think I purchased any other items.  I kind of wonder if the decrease in quality of his products might be part of the reason that his website is closing down.  I know he states it's due to shipping costs but still who knows!

Honored Contributor

That's too bad because I always got quality products from this company.  I have one of the good doormats still in the box to use.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

When he first came to QVC I purchased several of his outdoor mats.  They lasted for years.  When they finally wore out I purchased two more and they were so cheaply made.   Within a few weeks the seams started to come apart and I ended up cutting both of them in half and thereby having two much smaller mat on my front and back door than I wanted.  The mats quickly deteriorated and within two months I just threw them away.

After that I  lost confidence in the company and I don't think I purchased any other items.  I kind of wonder if the decrease in quality of his products might be part of the reason that his website is closing down.  I know he states it's due to shipping costs but still who knows!

@J Town Girl

This is what has happened to countless companies over the last couple of decades.

They cheapen the quality of the product to maintain a price point, but in the end customers remember the better quality, and reduce or stop their buying. I'd gladly pay more to keep the great quality.

I wonder if this might just be the beginning of the end of their line of products.

Thanks OP for the heads up. I'll see if there are any things that me or my mom might want to stock up on, just in case.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio is right.  It's a Catch 22.  Manufacturing costs go up all the time regardless of the country of manufacture.  To maintain the quality of a product, you have to raise the price.  Customers balk, demand lower prices, or decide not to buy.  The company then reduces the price, but the quality suffers, and customers won't buy an inferior product.  Then the company suffers, its employees suffer, and the economy suffers.  Unfortunately consumers can't have it both ways.  I've been disappointed many times with decreasing quality.  I'd rather pay more and maintain the quality I'm accustomed to buying.

Respected Contributor

Hope his products will continue to be offered on Q. His mop and microfiber towels are the best.
Honored Contributor

I agree about products (in general) downgrading quality once the product lines become popular.

I've had this happen with several products I've purchased from QVC over the years.  They build a reputation with quality products and then they start cutting costs on quality, often, very soon thereafter.

One of the ones that sticks out in my mind is a Stan Herman fleece robe I got from QVC years ago.  I liked it so much that, within a few months, I ordered another one.  The difference in quality and fabric weight was profound.  I was really disappointed.  But that was probably when I first saw that sort of thing happening.

As to Aslett - good that they will still be able to sell their products through other venues.  

Honored Contributor

I use his mops all the time - wouldn't want to be without them.They are so easy to use and lightweight.

Everyone deserves their retirement - I hope he enjoys his.

Esteemed Contributor

The other day they had his microfiber set for $14. I was going to pick them up at a later date. I wish I had bought them. Hopefully he will bring the set back to qvc.