Super Contributor

What sets the Don Aslett mops apart from the rest? Which would you recommend? Thx!

Respected Contributor

This is an old topic but I'll bring it up because I'm so delighted with the Don Aslett "mop." 

The Aslett mop was recommended to me here because I was so disappointed in another mop.  It's so easy and lightweight to use, no disposable/buy more pads, the green pad does a beautiful job on the laminated kit. floor.  When I use the green pad, I just rinse it out in the sink, hang to dry overnight in the garage.  It can go through the washer, but it's really not necessary at this point (maybe later).

My kitchen ceiling has needed washing for a long time. It's a terrible job.  You know--get the heavy ladder, climb up, wash a few feet, get down, move the ladder, climb up, wash a few feet, etc., etc.  With the Aslett mop, I stood on the floor and wiped down the whole ceiling in a few minutes.  It looks great!  I'm delighted and will be getting a mop for a friend. 

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

This is an old topic but I'll bring it up because I'm so delighted with the Don Aslett "mop." 

The Aslett mop was recommended to me here because I was so disappointed in another mop.  It's so easy and lightweight to use, no disposable/buy more pads, the green pad does a beautiful job on the laminated kit. floor.  When I use the green pad, I just rinse it out in the sink, hang to dry overnight in the garage.  It can go through the washer, but it's really not necessary at this point (maybe later).

My kitchen ceiling has needed washing for a long time. It's a terrible job.  You know--get the heavy ladder, climb up, wash a few feet, get down, move the ladder, climb up, wash a few feet, etc., etc.  With the Aslett mop, I stood on the floor and wiped down the whole ceiling in a few minutes.  It looks great!  I'm delighted and will be getting a mop for a friend. 

Glad you are finding the mop as useful as I have.

I got mine probably over a decade ago, and just replaced it in December, as my pads were finally to the point of not staying on the frame. The pads are still good, but I think maybe the Velcro was finally getting weak.

I still believe that the only way to get a floor really clean (not sanitized, that requires a steam mop) is on hands and knees, but I just can't take the abuse on my knees anymore, so opted for the Aslett mop because I could use it for dry or wet, just one thing and no disposable things to keep replacing.

In addition to dry dust mopping, and wet mopping, I have used it to clean the walls in the garage, as I can get clear to the ceiling from the floor.

I never thought of ceilings. Mine are slightly textured, so not sure how it would work, but is certainly would be good for dry removal of dust and cob webs. Thanks for the idea.

Honored Contributor

I have Don Aslett mops at home and in our camper. Of course I've used them on the floors though on my laminate floor I use a spray product and use the mop head dry as I was instructed not to get that floor wet. Anyway, as well I have used mine to wash walls  and it does a fabulous job. Then just toss the mop heads ionto the washing machine. I use the white fluffy head dry to dry dust my laminate floors between moping.

Respected Contributor

Re: Don Aslett Mop

[ Edited ]

Another thing I like is that it takes just a little water to do the kitchen floor, unlike a "regular" mop for which you would have to fill a bucket, then use more water to rinse the mop head.  This uses a minimum of water, and that's good in drought areas like mine where filling a bucket with water is not something you want to do.

@Mominohio,  I've mopped a lot of floors on my hands and knees, but it think this does just as well, with the exception that if you have a coved floor it doesn't get the coveing. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've been using this mop for approx. 10 years. I have a bad back --- and tried other products before, to no avail. I have a faux wood floor in my kitchen --- and the rest of my downstairs is tile. So easy to use --- lightweight --- and I just use water (no chemicals). Then I toss in the washer when I have collected 5 pads (I haven't used the white pad yet - but read that I could clean my ceiling fans with it). I keep a plastic folding rack in my garage - and put the pads on that to dry. 

The pads last a long time.

Respected Contributor

For a long while, it was the only mop I'd use--I like the pads and there was a fluffy dust pad (pets and dusty here.)

Subsequently, I found I preferred the spin mops. I like how the fibers reach into corners and the way I can wash the mop out between swipes. I bought extra heads and can change them and toss in the washer after doing floors. 

You can't really rinse out the Aslett mop without touching the pad (so you need to wear rubber gloves) or change the pads when they get grimed up. They are pretty good, however.

Super Contributor

Is this better than the Hurricane Spin Mop sold at HSN?

Respected Contributor

@Poppet1    I do not know, but you can go to HSN and read the reviews.  For me, I would not get that spin mop because I have no space to store the bucket.  Also, we are on water restrictions, so if I can just wet the Aslett pad and get the job done that way, it saves a lot of water.  The spin mop is more expensive too.