Honored Contributor

Does anyone know of a dupe for Affresh HE washing machine tablets?

We have a Whirlpool Bravos washer and because of water issues I use the Affresh tablets at least once a week.  I know Tide has a HE tablet, but I would prefer not to use.  I know there has to be something out there and just haven't found the dupe yet.  My reason for wanting to try something else is because 3 tabs are over $10 locally. Thank you for any suggestions. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone know of a dupe for Affresh HE washing machine tablets?

I use a cup of bleach in the bleach dispenser and run it on the Affresh cycle. The washer manual recommends the Affresh but then talked about using bleach instead.

I think with the newest bleaches that are thicker, non-spill etc, I use 1/2 cup or less.

Respected Contributor

Don't forget to leave the front door open so the washer can air dry to prevent mildew growth. Bleach is cheap and works; it is also one of the only ways to kill bacteria, viruses, and mildew. If you can't stand the smell buy one of the scented ones or cover your nose while pouring. It doesn't take much to clean, so diluting it with water is ok.
Respected Contributor

i allways use a cup of bleach with clean washer cycle.i gree the other kind is exspensive.my maytag book tells u  can use blech.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For the Affresh, if you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you, try there. I bought a 3 pack there the other day. $6.99 and then I used a 20% off coupon and saved $1.40 off the $6.99. 

And Amazon sells a 6 pack for $11.19. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Before investing money in a special  cleaner,  I'd follow the manufacturer's instructions.  (Whirlpool recommends that my Duet front loader should be run on the "clean washer" cycle with up to 2/3 cup liquid bleach).

I don't have any washer smell because the door is kept open, but the bleach and "clean washer" cycle probably helps to also eliminate any type of residues (such as lint or detergent residue) that collect under the interior rubber gasket)

I've seen negative reviews for products designed to help clean  dishwashers or washing machines.  I occasionally run my dishwasher (which does have an occasional odor) with a small bowl of vinegar sitting in the lower rack  and am real happy with how it freshens the machine.

Plain old Clorox bleach and hot water might  be worth a try in any type of clothes washer, whether it has a special "clean washer" cycle or not.

Super Contributor

The Affresh tablets have never cleaned well in my front load LG washer. The very best cleaner that I have ever used is the product called Washer Magic. I really swear by the related product, Dishwasher Magic as well. I prop open my door at all times when the washer is not in use. We use a piece of hollow rubber tubing, I think it is 1/2" diameter clear tubing and it is about 14" long. We stick one end over the door "hook"/latch and prop the other end just inside the door rim. It keeps the door open wide enough to circulate some air in there to help dry it out. The door seal never really dries out in the crevices of course, and we are too lazy to hand dry it every time. We have never had a foul smell in our washer though.

Valued Contributor

I just started using an HE washer a week ago so I have not done the cleaning washer mode yet but I did notice that Kroger (if you have Kroger near you) sells their own product for use in the washers.  It was 4.99 for 3 tablets, but my Maytag booklet said that you can use bleach so that is probably what I will do when the time comes since it is so much cheaper.

Honored Contributor

@Rustys mom wrote:

I just started using an HE washer a week ago so I have not done the cleaning washer mode yet but I did notice that Kroger (if you have Kroger near you) sells their own product for use in the washers.  It was 4.99 for 3 tablets, but my Maytag booklet said that you can use bleach so that is probably what I will do when the time comes since it is so much cheaper.

My newer Samsung washer has a "pure cycle" that cleans my washer. It indicates to me about every 40 washes I should run the pure cycle.

"Pure Michigan"