Honored Contributor

Re: Do you take your home for granted?

@house_cat wrote:

These are a few of my favorite things ...

My "boring white ware"

image.jpgMy grandma's China  

image.jpg

image.jpgMy teensy weensy back porch. 

image.jpgMy beloved kitty, who likes to sit with us at dinner time. 

image.jpgMy KA mixer - wouldn't want to live without it. image.jpgHubby's favorite chair and his favorite dessert. image.jpgNothing makes me smilier than baking a pie. 

Id love to see some of your favorite things. 

@house_cat  Thanks for posting wonderful pics! As for myself, I have posted many pics periodically over the past several months of my favorite things...decorating our home, gardens (pics in the garden forum), baking muffins and don't want to bore folks reposting them again.

I also enjoy our home for our wildlife habitat in our backyard. Here are a few fun pics Smiley Happy

PB230144.JPG

P1020044.JPG

P1220334.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat It looks like you have a lovely farmhouse...love all your pics...the pie looks delish, LOVE the chairs, and your fur baby is precious cat.gif

DH and I hope to move to a big old farmhouse when he retires Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise - those wildlife photos made my day!  Thank you for posting them!

Thanks also for the compliments, but I assure you, as much as I'd love to live in an old farmhouse, I certainly don't own one right now. It's actually a town home in the suburbs of Los Angeles.  I have about 100 square feet of outdoor space and none of it is dirt or grass.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

Housecat I just love your home.It looks so enviting and makes me feel that you are a very social and happy person.Everywhere you photographed spoke sit down,relax and enjoy!

Thank you, Whatnow.  I have to admit that I am a good hostess, though I don't entertain often.  These days I have other priorities, but there's nothing I love more than having some good friends around my table, drinking coffee and eating my baked goods.  I'd love to have the ladies from this forum drop in for a visit.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@Susan Louise - those wildlife photos made my day!  Thank you for posting them!

Thanks also for the compliments, but I assure you, as much as I'd love to live in an old farmhouse, I certainly don't own one right now. It's actually a town home in the suburbs of Los Angeles.  I have about 100 square feet of outdoor space and none of it is dirt or grass.

@house_cat So glad you liked the pics Smiley Happy

Well, it sure is a lovely, comfy cozy town home! The pic with the pie and the chairs made me think of a farmhouse. Whenever DH and I go to the local parks to go birding, I go into dreamland here everytime we pass one of the farmhouses here locally just on the outskirts of town. 

Oh...to win a powerball ticket I tell you...LOL

Honored Contributor

I take little for granted these days.  I am thankful I have a nice house and a good paying job to afford it.  I spent years finding decor to give it a unique style.  There's not much I would change.

Honored Contributor

After seeing pictures of her comfortable looking home, I'd say the OP probably does take the good things for granted. To my eye, she has a beautiful home and a flair for making it look lovely. I'm not creative so other than a few fall decorations that I'll be putting out, there's not a lot to show.
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:
After seeing pictures of her comfortable looking home, I'd say the OP probably does take the good things for granted. To my eye, she has a beautiful home and a flair for making it look lovely. I'm not creative so other than a few fall decorations that I'll be putting out, there's not a lot to show.

Thank you, AuntG.  The point here, though, is to talk about or show photos of those things in our homes that make us smile.  We all have them - a favorite chair, mug or view from the porch, an family heirloom or fluffy towels. Whatever it is that makes our hearts smile when we're at home.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

When we built this house in 1986 it was perfect for our growing family but fast forward 30 years later and the fact is that it's way bigger than we need anymore, that, plus the fact that all four bedrooms are upstairs, reduces it a bit from perfect to almost perfect but still, I absolutely LOVE my house.  I love where's it's situated, on a wooded cul de sac location in a small community.  I love that while living in the suburbs of NJ, we're still close enough to NYC and all that it offers.  I love that out of this "house", hubby and I created a home.  Our daughter and her family live in the same development as we do so they'll often just pop by in the evening to take a swim or ride their bikes on the safety of the cul de sac.  But to answer your question, no, I don't take my home for granted, not even one single bit.  I know how fortunate I am to have what I have and I'm grateful for it.  I LOVE my house.

Many (most, actually) of my friends have already moved out of their big houses and into over 55 communities where, as it happens, their houses are just as large but more functional to their stage in life with beds and full baths on the first floor, people to do their maintenance for them and a life style that leaves more time for leisure. Sometimes I envy them and then I think "hey, I'm happy where I am and my grandkids are just around the corner...what more could I ask from life?  The answer to that is nothing, for right now, I can't think of another place I'd rather be.

I once told a friend that when I pull into the driveway and push the automatic garage door opener and see those doors go up it feels like a giant pair of arms welcoming me home.     

Maria

Honored Contributor

BINGO, Maria! That's exactly what I was after!  Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your life.  You are living my dream... kids and grandkids living close enough to pop in for a visit.  It doesn't get better than that. Wishing you continued blessings :-)

~ house cat ~