Respected Contributor

Do you love that foam handsoap? Make your own cheap!

I buy the Lysol brand foam hand soap. When I ran out, WM was out of that brand so I bought regular concentrated hand soap in the pump bottle. When I went home, I had a bright idea. I just pumped about 4 pumps of concentrated soap into the Lysol foam container. I finished filling it up with water and put the pump back on. I gently shook it to mix.

It works exactly like the foam soap. Do you know how many bottles of foam soap I can make with one bottle of concentrated soap? A bunch.

If the foam is not thick enough, just add another pump of concentrate to your foam pump bottle.

I'm sure some already know this.

We have soft water and it takes forever to rinse the concentrate off my hands.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you love that foam handsoap? Make your own cheap!

It sounds like a great idea! But, check to see if you should be using distilled water. I think the tap water could grow algae or bacteria if left in the container too long...unless there is enough of some sort of preservative in the soap to keep the water free of any kinds of growths.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

Re: Do you love that foam handsoap? Make your own cheap!

On 1/5/2015 only shops online said:

It sounds like a great idea! But, check to see if you should be using distilled water. I think the tap water could grow algae or bacteria if left in the container too long...unless there is enough of some sort of preservative in the soap to keep the water free of any kinds of growths.

I used tap water which has chlorine. The concentrate I used is antibacterial. Not sure if that is good enough.

I'll use distilled water next time though. Good idea.