Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a Wood Burning or a Gas Fireplace?

Gas and it really warms the area in close proximity.  Wish it had a blower on it so the whole room could be heated.

Honored Contributor

We have three natural gas fired fireplaces.  We had 2 wood ones and I wouldn't go back for anything.  They were a mess and expensive to burn a lot.  

Esteemed Contributor

Had our woodburning fireplace with a gas started converted into a gas fireplace years ago. Loved it so much, we added a gas fireplace in the downstairs family room. That one really puts out the heat! Wouldn't go back to the mess and trouble of a woodburing fireplace for anything. Flip the switch and instant heat! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Gas and it really warms the area in close proximity.  Wish it had a blower on it so the whole room could be heated.

@AuntG  - do not know if this works or not cuz it's not been cold enough here to test.  I'm in a new home with a gas F/P and our construction managers have said that you can create the same effect by going to the thermostat and turning the fan to the "on" position and it really heats up quickly.  I'll probably test it when our weather decides that winter is really here.  RIght now we are caught in the 70s one day and dark, dreary 40s the next.

Respected Contributor

We switched our wood burning fireplace to gas (propane) years ago and never looked back! No hauling wood in and ashes out anymore. I do miss the smell of the wood burning, but not the next day stale ashes smell.

Our latest set of logs has a remote for turning it on and off...best thing ever invented, as far as I'm concerened!

We don't use the fireplace a whole lot, but it's nice when we do. It's also great for when the power goes out--it keeps the family room, bedroom and kitchen warm.