Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you have a Wood Burning or a Gas Fireplace?

Two natural gas - one in living room, one in the basement.  We love them. 

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I live in Arizona and yes I have a fireplace as stupid as it sounds. The problem is that it’s a wood burning one and it’s only cold enough a few times a year to burn it. The problem is we have no burn days because of pollution so usually when it’s cold enough to finally burn it the county says we can’t or we could be fined if caught. People still burn them because the likelihood of getting caught is slim.

@Meowingkitty

I used to live in So Cal and had a wood burning fireplace.  On Christmas Eve I always had a fire and a party.  One year it was 80+ degrees so I cranked the AC up and had my fire!

Honored Contributor

Gas — flip the switch and instant flames.

Wood burning fireplaces cause havoc with my allergies.

Esteemed Contributor

Have a lovely fireplace.  Unfortunately, someone tried to connect a gas line to it and ruined the integrity of the firebox.

So, we do not burn in it.  It is pretty to look at.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Phoenix:    I have a wood-burning fireplace, but I put Duraflame electric "logs" in it.     I have central heat......and I mainly use the fireplace for "company".............(It looks pretty!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

We have a raised hearth brick fireplace,a real fireplace where we burn real wood. We use it just about every night when it's cold.Love it.   I like the looks of those little heaters with the fake flames. Those would be cute in a bedroom or kitchen.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Gas fireplace.  It's run six months of the year.  Costs little to run.

Valued Contributor

It's not even a choice for me, especially financially because it gets so cold here. Definitely wood stove. My brother even put heat tape on my pipes so they don't freeze up anymore in the winter. We have wood parties in the summer and the guys go out and get large loads of logs and we have a hydraulic gas splitter that the women can handle...so everyone helps out and stacks as well. And even with that I'm out at least 200 minimum for electric and gas heat every month.

Honored Contributor

we HAD a wood burning fireplace for many years. we have now turned it into a gas fireplace and i could not be happier. it is warm, convenient, and has no mess. great decision for us. all other rooms have duraflame or dimplex fireplaces that are electric.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a gas fireplace. Very pretty. We are planning on getting the front refaced next spring. It is connected to a thermostat. When we fist moved in I was downstairs one morning and it came on all by itself. I just about jumped over the back of the sofa! I had never seen that before. It was a very Harry Potter moment.

We love it. It is always clean. Looks so real. The logs inside look real. In the warmer months we turn the pilot light off and I open the glass and put Luminara candles inside and close it back up. Use the remote to turn on the candles. Sometimes I also add greenery or silk flowers around the candles. 

It it also has a sliding blower switch (On the wall next to room light switches) where we can make the heat coming from it more intense.

I have to say it is really nice to come downstairs on a cold morning and the fire is already going.