Respected Contributor

Do U Have Smokers in your house?

[ Edited ]

Have you ever heard of a special ashtray that collects the smoke?  If so, what's the name of it?

What about an AIR PURIFIER?  What works?

(My apologies ladies, but my dog was euthanized 6 days ago.  The entire illness/death process was emotionally too much for me, and I started smoking 2 weeks ago.  My house stinks!  I'm so grief-stricken, I can't stop smoking.)

I've applied to be a dog foster mom and I am sooooo EMBARRASSED at how my house smells.

I have a huge Honeywell Purifier model  50250-S, but I just got home and when I walked thru the door, I thought "oh noooo, it smells like ****** in here".  
Thank you.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

Re: Do U Have Smokers in your house?

If you keep smoking in the house, you will never get rid of the smell. It permeates everything. Open your house up and let it air out and clean everything. If you are goi g to smoke, smoke outside. If you are caring for an animal, the smoke is just as deadly, if not more so, to them as it is to you. I know you are obviously an animal lover, so you need to consider their health too. I hope you are able to get rid of the smell. Eventually it will dissipate some if you are not smoking inside anymore.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina

So sorry for the loss of your dog. It can really make such a strong impact. I hope that fostering some deserving sweet fur babies will help you to feel better.

I don't have a direct answer about the ash trays, as no one here smokes.

I do wonder if you will have trouble with the foster agencies because you do have a smoker(s) in the house. I don't know if any of them have rules about that, before they agree to bring the animals in.

Since it seems that you were not smoking before your loss, could you perhaps try smoking outside, and limiting your number, to try to reduce and get back off the cigarettes before they bring you a foster? Maybe being busy and loving a pet again will help you stop.

And please ask yourself if you are ready to bring in animals to love, that won't be staying. Will it just break your heart again, in this early stage of your grief?

Best of luck and wishes to you as you start the new chapter, and I hope you find love and peace in your new adventure.

Respected Contributor

Always go outside.  It's just so much easier. I still smoke, but never indoors and never near people.

Honored Contributor

So sorry for the loss of your dog. Being a dog Foster mom will help with your loss & the dogs will love you. It's best to smoke outside. The odor builds up indoors & the walls, carpets & everything in the house gets coated with buildup from the smoke. DH smoke cigars & I make him smoke outside.

Honored Contributor

Google "smokeless ash tray"........there are a number of different kinds

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only time I have smokers in the house is when I burn dinner.  If you don't stop smoking inside you will not be able to clean the air.

1. Smoke outside

2. Consider swtiching to a vapor cigarette where you can control how much nicotine you get and slowly decrease it to stop smoking!

3. Stop smoking.

4. You precious baby is much better now and your love for him will grow and you will  share your love with your foster puppies.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but I don't agree with seeking sotice in smoking as it only harms you.  

You need to get a good odor remover for the fabrics and carpet and wash what you can.  Stop smoking inside immediatley.  If it is too hot outside then you have more reasons to quit, plus the cost can be much better spent on your new foster puppies in a much happier and healthier way.  Air the house out with the windows in the evenings when thise have cooled down some.  This helps wonderfully if you have a breeze as well.  Also dump your ash tray frequently so the smell doesn't track in when you come in.

Congrats on the fostering and spreading your love and care for those souls that end up in bad places.  We need more people like you willing to share their homes and love with furbabies!  I would have more of them if I was didn't work such long hours.  Two cats is about all I can manage, and they don't like my new schedule.  Dogs require far more attention than I can give right now, but I sure do look forward to having another snuggle buddie!

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@RinaRina

#1-So sorry for the loss of your dog. It can really make such a strong impact. I hope that fostering some deserving sweet fur babies will help you to feel better.

#2-Since it seems that you were not smoking before your loss, could you perhaps try smoking outside, and limiting your number, to try to reduce and get back off the cigarettes before they bring you a foster? Maybe being busy and loving a pet again will help you stop.

#3-And please ask yourself if you are ready to bring in animals to love, that won't be staying. Will it just break your heart again, in this early stage of your grief?

Best of luck and wishes to you as you start the new chapter, and I hope you find love and peace in your new adventure.

#1- It WILL make me feel better.  I hate to use this analogy and some peeps here may not appreciate my humor, but it's like losing a husband ... fastest way for me to get over the loss is to get another one.  Grieving is very self-destructive for me.  I just can't handle it.

#2- Tried that.  I can't take the heat (90 degrees) and the SUN.  

#3- Yes, I'm ready.  It's called "transference".  (I MUST love another dog.)   I will NEVER have another dog "of my own".  Never!!  No other dog will ever take the place of the one I had (12 years). And, I don't ever want to go thru this kind of PAIN again.  "Fostering" will be good.  One will stay temporarily, leave, then another arrives.  

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I am married to a die hard smoker, and will tell you straight up the smoke grabber ashtrays DO NOT do anything except grab the smoke from the cigarette you are smoking at the time.   Smoking outside is the only way to stop the inside odor.  The air purifiers will help clean the air, but you are dealing with an odor that has permeated everything in your house.  Airing the house is a must.  Air your pillows, couch and chair cushions outside on sunny days, as well as any throw rugs.  Wash all curtains and bed linens.  I hid containers of charcoal briquettes around the house to help absorb the cigarette smell, and changed them every couple of months.  The Don Aslett XO neutralizer works great to neutralize the remaining stale odor but you will need to spray your upholstered furniture often to help take care of what has been absorbed into the fabrics around your house.  Once you start seeing a difference in the smell, try a simmer pot on your stovetop to help everything smell better.   I love to use whole cloves, cinnamon sticks and imitation vanilla flavoring in a large pot of water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let this do its thing to add natural fragrance to your home.  My sympathy on the loss of your dog.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do all the things Red Top said......and don't forget when you are smoking...its clinging to your clothes...shoes...hair...etc...

My ex was a smoker and our house smelled like an ashtray all the time...glad to be rid of that smell and the ex....lol...

No one is allowed to smoke in my place..nor my car..you need to smoke outside too hot or not...better yet...STOP SMOKING.....