Respected Contributor

Design experts, need your help RE: Kitchen baseboard color

To set a visual... We had hardwood floors in a walnut sorta color (not to dark and not light) We have Espresso Cabinets and a Lighter color granite countertop.

We replaced all the interior doors in our house and painted them a milky white (not bright white but not beige either) we did ALL our baseboards in our house in the same color and it looks fantastic.

BUT, now we are to the kitchen, time to trim it.....Should we stain/paint them the same color as the cabinets and have the baseboards blend in with the cabinets? I just cannot imagine putting the milky white under those dark cabinets, I can't even visualize that!!

So, I'm here to ask.......what should we do? I'm no design expert, I've google'd and looked at photo's and my hunch says to paint them to blend in with the cabinets....

Respected Contributor

Re: Design experts, need your help RE: Kitchen baseboard color

Are you talking about the toe kick under the cabinets?

The toe-kick should match the cabinet.

Respected Contributor

On 4/3/2015 Abrowneyegirl said:

Are you talking about the toe kick under the cabinets?

The toe-kick should match the cabinet.

Never heard it called that before but Ya, Its the board that trims along the floor and very bottom of your cabinets.

I have a end cap that is just one solid piece of Espresso cabinet (like the back of it) and I was trying to picture that milky white on tehre and I'm like...OH GOSH NO!!! So, that's why hubby and I have been trying to figure out what to do. I am thinking you are right, paint them the same color as cabinets. Oh joy - more painting!

Respected Contributor

I have the baseboards painted white with the quarter round on top of baseboard stained to match the cabinets.

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

On 4/3/2015 Hoovermom said:

Image result for quarter round on top of baseboard pictures

Humm, I guess we could try something like that....I just hate to have to paint two colors, would prefer just to paint the boards one solid color, I'm not at home otherwise I would post a pic of the cabinet and floor but I'm not sure a photo would help since there is no baseboard on there right now anyways.

Honored Contributor

Stain the same color as your cabinets.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

The quarter round was stained and then poly'ed. I would think that would be easy to do before installation. Good luck!! Is this how it would look:

Respected Contributor

On 4/3/2015 Hoovermom said:

The quarter round was stained and then poly'ed. I would think that would be easy to do before installation. Good luck!! Is this how it would look:

Image result for baseboards painted same color as cabinets

Thanks for the visual, see....I'm not sure I would want the boards to JUMP out like they do in this pic, I think matching them to the cabinets would be the best choice... Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Oh, I see your cabinets are stained a brownish? I read your original post too quickly. My cabinets are white so the white baseboard looks great with the quarter round to match my hardwoods.

Here is your look, right?

Image result for dark cabinets with dark baseboards on hardwood floors