Regular Contributor

Decorating Ideas...Dining Room Table

Hi Everyone!

I have a French Country dining room set...table has mahogany wood top...with distressed cream apron and legs...and chairs are also a distressed cream with black/cream Toile chair cushions.

I have a glass top on the table for protection...The table is oval, and I got the idea to take a 52" square tablecloth...which is ivory with some lace...and place it diagonally on the table under the glass...so it doesn't cover the entire table and the beautiful mahogany wood still shows through...I'm really liking it and was thinking that there are many various decorating styles that could be done under the glass top...so thought I would post to get some other creative ideas from all of you.

Thanks so much!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Decorating Ideas...Dining Room Table

This is a great idea -- and putting your table linens under glass means that you can clean the glass after a meal and use the tablecloth multiple times. Practical as well as pretty!

You could put many kinds of decorations under the glass -- photos, glitter, news clippings, personal memorabilia, lace doilies or runners, pressed leaves/flowers, baby clothes -- all kinds of things to create a theme table for parties or family events. There's a casual restaurant in our neighborhood that displays sports memorabilia under glass tops on its tables.

Super Contributor

You are soooo smart and clever!

One word....be careful with paper and pics under glass. For me, I did that once and maybe I left it there too long or there was moisture in the air or something, but they stuck to the glass when I wanted to remove them. It ruined the pics to pry them off, but they HAD to come off.

Regular Contributor

GoodStuff & babyb,

Thanks so much for your replies and suggestions....I do like the idea of the pressed flowers during the various seasons; however, I also need to be careful not to do anything that would affect the wood or create a cluttered look under the glass top, which would just take away from the overall style and look of the dining set itself.

The 52" square tablecloth is perfect for adding just a little flair...Before coming home tonight, I stopped off at the store where I had bought the Toile seat cushions and they just happened to have a matching Toile 52" square table topper...and it looks absolutely adorable with the lovely Toile scene...just the perfect touch!...I didn't want to cover the entire table, as I wanted to be sure that the lovely mahogany wood still showed through also.

Just a simple touch and Voila'!

babyb....Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry that you couldn't save your pictures...There are clear buttons that should be used under the glass top which raise it just a little to allow for air flow.

GoodStuff...You sound very creative also!

Thank you both again for taking the time to reply...very much appreciated...love the Home Forum!...I remember when the Forums were so busy and they have gradually become so quiet...sad to see, as it is great to be able to share with everyone on various topics!