Honored Contributor

What is your primary consideration when buying furniture and home decor?

Are you one that looks for top quality and will pay well for it, keeping things for decades, or do you prefer less expensive items and changing them up more often?

I have done both, but mostly I'm a quality gal. I usually keep my things for decades, and just change the way I use them. For furniture (wood) I'm a lifetime keeper and upholstered furniture will most likely be with me for 20 years (or more for some pieces). 

How do you fall with your purchases?

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

What is your primary consideration when buying furniture and home decor?

Are you one that looks for top quality and will pay well for it, keeping things for decades, or do you prefer less expensive items and changing them up more often?

I have done both, but mostly I'm a quality gal. I usually keep my things for decades, and just change the way I use them. For furniture (wood) I'm a lifetime keeper and upholstered furniture will most likely be with me for 20 years (or more for some pieces). 

How do you fall with your purchases?

I'm a quality gal myself...you get what you pay for that's for sure.  I have pieces that are 34 yrs old and with good care, they look wonderful😊

Esteemed Contributor

Quality. 

LaZBoy direct from them for sofa & DH chair  It has lifetime warranty from them. only 5 years of bought through Art  Van  or another source. 

Cost

for our chair-and-a-half, cost was more important. It seems very well made.  I don't remember the name of the company.  On clearance from Art Van it was $450 and at LaZBoy it would have been $1300,  For that chair I could not justify the cost.  

Honored Contributor

Quality and keep forever....for major purchases. Furniture that I purchased 25 years ago is still beautiful and useful.  I buy good quality cars and drive forever.   I prefer quality in clothing and generally classic lines that tend to last.   If I'm buying clothing that is trendy,  I'll look for an inexpensive piece.  I consider "things" the least important facet of my life.  I don't want to keep churning constantly, in fact, I've become a lot more Zen in my approach to things.  Animals, health (spiritual, emotional, mental, physical), friends, family, peace, joy, equanimity are priorities in my life.  Kindness and compassion rule my life, things are not a priority.

Esteemed Contributor

Quality. I'll save like a fiend to get that piece that speaks to me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cost or Quality

[ Edited ]

I consider both cost and quality, but that doesn't always mean the two are mutually exclusive either.  I also consider where something is going to go and how much use it will get.

Esteemed Contributor

100% Quality ..... I want things to last. 😊

Esteemed Contributor

Most of the time, we have bought high quality furniture in designs that will stand the test of time. We still love our bedroom set, dining room furniture, living room tables, as well as some Hitchcock pieces, as well as some antique accents.  We take very good care of our things, and still love them as we approach our 50th year of marriage.  Most were bought in our younger years!

Honored Contributor

Quality.

Respected Contributor

Quality for sure. Unless you're flipping a furnished house, I can't see any reason to buy any other way.