Honored Contributor

Interesting too that a number of years back researchers learned that the colors used in the finer colonial homes were often far from the dour shades one might expect...

The small dining room at Mt. Vernon... I'm not sure the color is historically accurate to the room but is among a number of bright, true colors that might have been used...

George Washington's Mount Vernon Small Dining Room, Charlottesville,  Virginia, USA | Dining room small, Mansion interior, Interior

The banquet hall...

Banquet Hall Mount Vernon George Washington House Interior Design Postcard  VA / HipPostcard

The 'new' room... 

The New Room in Mount Vernon | NTA Courier

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb 

I couldn't tell it was a settee.  Even the settee's fabric below looks better than the one in the photo.

Thanks for the explanation.

Honored Contributor

I really like this look and am glad they surrounded it with white. I used to have it in my great room but my wood ceiling made the great room look too dark and everything was "coming in on me". I have mixed it with traditional pieces and am liking it even better. 

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb  Love this look. Grew up with it, my family up and down the East Coast/New England has it and I have it (in places) down here in Florida. Simple and elegant at the same time. Colonial Williamsburg is my dream community, lol.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Love that box-type paneling, floors, hearth and those handsome old pieces!  Would love to see more of that house.  They probably have other rooms for 'cozying' up in, but it's neat to have this as well...

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@stevieb  Love this look. Grew up with it, my family up and down the East Coast/New England has it and I have it (in places) down here in Florida. Simple and elegant at the same time. Colonial Williamsburg is my dream community, lol.

@FiddleDeeDee  Clearly, those who subscribe to more of a modern mix are probably not going to appreciate this style, though colonial primitive pieces can mix nicely with contemporary pieces. For the rest of us, I think there's something in our DNA that makes this 'Americana' style resonate with us on some level. I love colonial elements and while I wouldn't want a 'period' home, I do like incorporating bits and pieces.

As for Williamsburg, it's a lovely place to visit. For me, it gets a bit cloying after a while, like being in a 'toy' town, but I can see the appeal. I do love the whole New England and historical east coast and southern vibe, I guess because I grew up with it.

Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb The simple lines appeal to me. The architectural detail of the homes and furniture, the practical design of everything just....works for me. It isn't over the top. It isn't fussy. It just...works. There is also something about the glow and feel of wood under my hand that I have always loved. "Brown furniture doesn't sell any longer" is something I hear ALL the time. Shame. People have no clue what they're missing especially if it's handmade. We own a simple table (small) that has an apron on each side that open up to become a round table. The wood feels like glass. What people don't realize is there are no nails; it was made in a small village outside of Paris before nails were used. All wood pegs. Practical and beautiful, I wonder about the person who made it. 

Give me "brown furniture" any day.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Re: Colonial Spirit...

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee  I like a mix of furniture styles and finishes but no, nothing will ever replace real solid wood furniture for me. The pressed cardboard, put it together yourself stuff might work for a first apartment but you'd like to think that over time folks learn to recognize and appreciate qualiity.