Regular Contributor

Cleaning fingerprints off VPH Mercury spheres?

I bought a set of the Mercury glass spheres in midnight, but they are showing fingerprints pretty badly. What's the best way to clean them without using something that might rub off or eat at the paint?
Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning fingerprints off VPH Mercury spheres?

@J9

not sure but I have a iMac 27 desktop that seems to get a lot of dust and fingerprints (or shall I say kitty nose prints) they are difficult to remove.

i do know to never use winded what they recommended was a system called CLENS. Works great spray liquid on buffing cloth included and it's perfect no more fingerprints!

might want to try this wiping lightly 

Super Contributor

I use a microfiber cloth to clean my spheres and never had any issues.

Trusted Contributor

I use Windex wipes. They come in a flat pack in the store near the regular cleaners. I actually buy the Electronic Wipes version of them,and use them to clean my phone, laptop and iPad as well. They don't mess with the paint. I use them on all 3 sets of my spheres, including Midnight.
Super Contributor

I wouldn't use anything with harsh cleaners like Windex or others because I have noticed the paint/coatings on these type of things start to rub off when those are used. If you can try just a microfiber cloth with water like someone suggested or maybe some Dr. Bronner's oil-based soap mixed in a spray bottle with water, you might have good results. I use about 3 oz Dr. Bronner' with 24 oz water as an all purpose cleaner around the house. It is great in kitty litter boxes for quick clean ups too. I would test in a small area first, but I have not had the same color removal problems using this on my similar colored glass items, as I had with Windex and other commercial glass cleaners. If you don't get the ratio of soap to water correct, you will get some streaking.

Honored Contributor

I thought the paint was applied to the inside of the MG items.  I had some of Valeries 'lamps' and the top of the shade is open so dust gets inside and I had just a damp cloth(no cleaner) and tried to clean the bottom of the shade and everywhere the cloth touched the sides of shade the paint came off.  I've used a damp cloth on my spheres and it didn't hurt them.  The indoor-outdoor gets rained on so not sure what's up with that paint on them.

Trusted Contributor

@ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:

I wouldn't use anything with harsh cleaners like Windex or others because I have noticed the paint/coatings on these type of things start to rub off when those are used. If you can try just a microfiber cloth with water like someone suggested or maybe some Dr. Bronner's oil-based soap mixed in a spray bottle with water, you might have good results. I use about 3 oz Dr. Bronner' with 24 oz water as an all purpose cleaner around the house. It is great in kitty litter boxes for quick clean ups too. I would test in a small area first, but I have not had the same color removal problems using this on my similar colored glass items, as I had with Windex and other commercial glass cleaners. If you don't get the ratio of soap to water correct, you will get some streaking.

OR she could listen to someone who has been using Windex wipes on 3 sets of these spheres for years without any issue. They have a sealant on them, and they are for outdoor use as well.  And no, they do not fade outdoors because of rain, it's because of the sun.  Oh, and by the way @ThinkOutsidetheBox, a lot of Dr. Bronner's soaps contain tea tree, lavender, and peppermint oils which are all very toxic to cats.

Respected Contributor

@PeterDM wrote:
I use Windex wipes. They come in a flat pack in the store near the regular cleaners. I actually buy the Electronic Wipes version of them,and use them to clean my phone, laptop and iPad as well. They don't mess with the paint. I use them on all 3 sets of my spheres, including Midnight.

I too, can vouch for the fantastic job Windex wipes do for me on literally everything I choose to use them on.  There simply isn't anything better for me.  They leave no residue which I find from other products to be a dust magnet making the dust worse.  I wouldn't dream of being without them.  

Honored Contributor

Why not ask Valerie what she uses to clean them in her home?

Super Contributor

Oy ve PeterDM! Do not take my comment so personally. I was simply relating MY experience with Windex and all colored outdoor glass items that I have purchased from various retailers in the past. Although, I did use the spray on a paper towel, so perhaps it is different. Or, perhaps my colored glass items are just cheapies. I was just trying to save someone from potentially ruining their favorite item. No need to get hostile.

And, I generally use the unscented Dr. Bronner's Baby soap. However, SOME essential oils can supposedly be used around (preferably not directly on) cats, with no harm noted by many cat owners over their cats' lifespans. I would assume being safe rather than sorry is the recommendation here, so I do not use oils ON my cats personally, but I have read a few books written by holistic vets who disagree that all essential oils are toxic to cats. I get that it is a serious hot topic, but please keep calm and carry on. I neither agree or disagree with you on the topic. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so why do some feel the need to attack everyone who does not agree with them, I wonder.