Valued Contributor

Carpet or Laminate? What would you recommend?

We are needing to replace a good portion of the floor covering in our house and I'm having a hard time deciding which would be better.  Currently we have berber which is about 13-14 years old and has seen it's better days.  We would be doing about 2000 sq. ft.  We also have to consider that we have two dogs and two grandchildren living with us so the area gets a lot of use and wear and tear.  The laminate I looked at was a high end lamiante and it looks beautiful and they say it's very durable.  I've not looked at much carpet yet because I really would favor a hard surface, maybe with some area rugs in living room and under dining table, since we all have allergies.  I'd love some input from those of you with experience what you would recommend.  And, if you have a product name, that would be extremely helpful.  Cost would be a concern, too.

Honored Contributor

Re: Carpet or Laminate? What would you recommend?

Allergies = no carpet!

You could look at cork or bamboo flooring- both are durable.

Honored Contributor

Hard surface with area rugs.

Honored Contributor

@patticakes  Good luck with this decision.  Over the winter we had a great guy come in and give us and est on re-finishing our whole house of hardwood floors.  Estimate was b/t $4/$5K - rally not bad I thought.  I told him I'm in but we didn't sign any paperwork which was okay.  Later I decided to not make this investment because I have a husband who works outside for a living.  He doesn't respect the fact that he can no longer come home every night trailing throughout the main floor with his dirty muddy sometimes wet work boots.  We have a side door to the house that leads directly into the basement where by he could easily enter, take off his boots which is where he does this anyway.  He never once attempted to get himself into the habit of opening the side door and enter.

And like you we have a dog who loves to wrestle around with both of us.  Hm, dog nails on newly refinished hardwood floors?  I think not!

I canceled my job. 

I'm back to re-thinking wall to wall at least on the main floor.  And now while I write this, I could actually do carpet down & get the 2nd story floors refinished.  No idea why I never thought of this until just now!!!!

We live in an OLD home with beautiful very old in great condition oak woodwork throughout the house.  Base boards are 12" all around, pocket doors b/t living & dining room, entrance into the house is beautiful old oak, all the doorways the same.  It's more medium to darkish rather than light oak, you know - old.  So if I choose carpet main floor it'll be very close to the same color, maybe a little lighter so it all blends into each other.

I'll be re-painting the living & dining rooms early fall before we bring in the large house plants we take out & in spring/fall and I want to do the carpeting after I paint since I have to move furniture (all a big pain in my back!!!). I told DH this is what I'm planning.

Side note - he freaked when I told him I decided to cancel the floor re-finishing job a nd asked me why.  When I told him it was all because of him & the dog, he just sat in his chair staring at me.

So, back to your decision, I say all this as food for your thought.  Good luck in whatever you choose.

Trusted Contributor

We have laminate throughout our house, except for the bedrooms, and love it. However, if you have dogs and grandchildren I would caution you that spills/accidents MUST be cleaned up immediately or else the top layer of the flooring becomes damaged. Liquids cannot sit unattended.

Cleaning is a breeze with a Bona mop. Be careful of Chinese products with off-gassing.

That being said, there are many beautiful laminates on the market. Get the thickest you can afford with built-in noise barrier, upgrade your underlayment (it's worth it!).  I don't remember the brand we selected (Quick Click? Quik Step? Click Step?) but go to a flooring store and learn from a knowledgeable salesperson.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I'd ask to see and would strongly consider the newish vinyl planks that look exactly like wood.  They're the easiest to maintain and most durable, especially with kids and dogs.  I'd give anything to have them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I switched from carpeting to laminate (whole house, except tile kitchen, baths, & laundry).    So much easier to keep clean.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

I've had laminate in my foyer and kitchen/dining area for 18 years and I love it. Nearly impossible to damage and it has survived 3 kids and one dog. It looks as good as the day it was installed.  And the laminate today is nicer with more variety than what was available years ago. I just replaced the carpet in other areas of my house and I know it will be worn looking within a few years. But I do like the soft feel of carpet in the bedrooms. I highly recommend laminate flooring for the higher traffic areas. 

Honored Contributor

We had carpet in our hallway that it was impossible to keep clean so I had it removed and replaced it wioth laminate. I am so glad I did! The laminate we purchased was made in Germany and came with a 40 year warranty. 40 YEARS.So easy to keep clean. 

Esteemed Contributor

10 years ago I remodeled my home.I put high end laminate in the living room,dining room & den.I re carpeted the stairs & bedrooms.Well 10 years later the laminate looks like new!! The carpet looks 10 years old!!.I am redoing those areas in laminate & will be putting some area rugs down in the bedrooms! Laminate is easy to clean & durable.It may cost a little more initially but saves you money in the long run!! 

I used to love carpeting but it only looks good for about a year.No matter how expensive it is!! Also, no matter how much you clean carpeting dirt & dust get embedded in it which leads to allergy issues!! I can't say enough about laminate!! You won't be sorry!!!!