Valued Contributor

Re: Calling All Crafters - June 2016

@islandgrrl, years and years ago when they had a much different format, long before they kept post counts and starting dates (which change every time they do a remake), I started posting here. I just jumped right in, thinking this will be a friendly place to post. Boy, what an eye opening experience that was! People were so quick to jump all over you and bully you if you did not agree with their way of thinking! I see people say things now about how the boards have changed and gotten so unfriendly. I don't know how long they've been posting but it's been like that since the late 90's. It's always drawn some snarky people in. Nice people too but there were always those who just wanted to pick on people and were hunting down their prey. When QVC did crafts, we used to have a very active group of crafters posting here. But in time, it's dwindled down and there are very few of us posting here now. I post in other forums here, none regularly though, but this is my "safe" place. People that craft are generally nice people! Not that there aren't nice people in other forums but there are some who do tend to get argumentative and I do not enjoy that either. I'd much rather make friends than enemies.

I am working on organization these days but not just on crafts, but on everything. My husband passed away a year and a half ago so I'm finally getting around to redoing things now that he's gone. I am struggling with the organization part though so I would love to see if anyone joins in with ideas. I have a ton of stuff and it does get overwhelming. I have a craft secretary I keep filled with items and another craft cart filled to the brim, mostly with paper and yet another cabinet, an old bar, that I keep with craft items such as my Big Shot and my 9 inch Xyron among other things. Also, years ago I bought those magic drawers from QVC. I do not even know if they still sell them but I have them stacked up on the old bar I have and I have a ton of my things organized in that. I also use what they call Iris boxes for some things.  I'm afraid I don't have things very organized right now in order to give suggestions but I sure would love to hear ideas from others. So I'm with you in wanting to see what others do. i hope someone can give us good suggestions. I know that you can get ideas off of you tube as well so that might be a place to look, especially if there is something in particular you want to organize. Sorry I am not of better help though.

Respected Contributor

@Qgirl26

Oh, I remember those days in these forums when you took your life in your hands to disagree with others.  There is occasional snarkiness today but it pales by comparison.  I am very grateful for the Q board monitors.  I think they do a nice job of letting people critique QVC and disagree with one another without letting it get out of hand.  Remember how some posters would gang on people? Ick.  It was terrible.

My deep condolences on the loss of your husband.  There are no adequate words.  I lost my mom at a relatively young age 18 years ago and the resulting grief and possessions that I had to sort thru was big.  My task of organizing my craft supplies doesn't hold a candle to what is in front of you.  But perhaps our tips and discoveries can help each other.  I hope our fellow crafters will help us too!

Valued Contributor

@islandgrrl, that is an excellent way to describe those days, taking your life in your own hands. It was pretty scary sometimes!  I do remember people ganging up on others and it was like being back in school where people seem to pick on the same person and they'd get their friends to join in and it grew and grew. Yes, I appreciate the monitors too because this place needed it! It was like a free-for-all back then. I know some don't like the monitoring that goes on but it was very much needed.

Thank you for your condolences. We married very young, just 18 and 19, so now it's hard to be without him since he was a part of me for so long (we were married 32 1/2 years). I started sorting things recently after several failed attempts in the previous 18 months and I think this time I am finally getting somewhere. It's slow going but it's a little progress anyway. I lost my dad suddenly in 1993 and my mom was very mad at him for dying on her so she just threw his stuff away! Needless to say all of the kids wished she hadn't done that. So I learned what NOT to do from her. She remarried and my stepdad passed away in August and she did not throw his things away but she did get rid of them very quickly. I feel very slow in my efforts in comparison but I'm trying to handle things in the best way possible. I will get through it eventually though. Baby steps, right?

I don't know where all our fellow crafters went but we need them to come back and help us. LOL! I have a ton of craft supplies so organizing those will be of big help to me.

Contributor

Islanders I try so hard to keep my card making and papercrafts organized however, they keep coming out with new stuff that I HAVE to get and so it goes. 

I have 2 filing cabinets and my DH gave me a massive oak hilltop desk.  I would love to have a spare room to dedicate as my craft room.  It would be so nice to keep my sewing machines and everything together.

Love reading all posts on crafts.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette @mewsmomtoo @Qgirl26

I keep forgetting to post that I received my AG Minc machine from Craft Day that was on sale for $39.

The short version of the story is that I am really loving it for my card making.  The foil adds such a lovely and professional touch.  That is the good news.

The more complicated bit is that I have found some of the AG Minc embellishments don't always foil perfectly.  Krimpette and mews, have you had this experience?  I wasn't sure if there might not be something wrong with the machine.  I watch a ton of YouTube videos...practiced with different settings and the results were hit and miss. THEN I stumbled on to Heidi Swapp's Minc projects at Jo-Ann's and the results were perfect every time.  I've ordered Anna's French vintage collection just in case the set that came with my machine was sub par.  But if I experience the same hit and miss, I'm going to stick with Heidi.  

Any thoughts about this? Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl:  Glad you're liking your Minc.  I've experienced a couple of times where the supplied embellishments didn't foil perfectly.  But mostly, there might be a couple of dots, which I don't find to be very noticeable, especially when used with other embellishments.  

Can you explain further what you meant by Heidi Swapp's Minc projects at Joann's?    Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette

Thanks for your reply, Krimpette.  Do you have a JoAnn's Fabric and Craft store near you?  Actually, even if you don't, JoAnn's has a larger selection online.  Go to their website and search for "Heidi Swapp Minc" and see all of the different things that pop up.  I've recently ordered a set of bows, card papers, and a variety of card making embellishments all that can be Minc'ed.

One update on the Anna Griffin products:  I received my French Vintage card set yesterday and the results are MUCH better than the set that came with the machine.  

Honored Contributor

@islandgrrl:  I'll have to check that out.  I have purchased some of Heidi's foils (she has such a wide variety of lovely colors!!!!)  I'll check out JoAnn's for more Minc stuff!  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette

The Heidi Swapp foils are just too pretty, aren't they?  OMGosh, I want to try one of each! 

Valued Contributor

Hi All,

I'm new to your forum but a big time crafter.  I love to knit, make cards, and sew.  On craft day, I purchased Paper Wishes foiled moveable cards. They are so easy to make and the results are lovely and unusual.  I'm a big fan of Paper Wishes and purchase from their website so I'm glad to see them at HSN.

I can relate to one of the posters who said she wishes she had a dedicated craft room. I feel the exact same way.  I live in a 2 bedroom condo and there is only so much space.  Right now, my sewing machine is set up in my dining room which I don't like.  If I had a dedicated craft room, all the card 'stuff' as well and the sewing machine, ironing board, notions, etc.. would be in one place.  Half the time I don't know where I put what.

Is anyone familiar with the planners?  Anna Griffin had one but it is sold out.  I was in Pat Catan's today and they have one from Heidi Swapp and it's lovely.  It's $30 but I grabbed a 50% off coupon for next week so that's when I'll make my purchase.  Has anyone made a planner?  If my dear husband were alive, he'd say, 'You're starting another project!!!????  What about the 500 unfinished things you have all over the house?' God love him.  He loved to tease me about all my projects.  When he was alive and we had our house, I had a dedicated craft room and loved it.

Happy Crafting everyone.             docsgirl