Honored Contributor

I occasionally see products in the store that are supposed to be run in an empty DW to clean out minerals, etc.

I recently read that using a cup of white vinegar run in the short cycle will do the same.

How do YOU clean the DW .... what do you use, and how often?

TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CLEANING THE DISHWASHER?

I use Affresh tablets. I find them at BB&B but I've seen them at other stores. This brand was in my Kitchenair dishwasher goodie bad along with Finish tablets.  It really does a nice job ant there isn't any leftover residue or odor.  I am super sensitive to scents and have a ton of allergies and I can use this brand for the dishwasher and the washing machine. I think they recommend once a month or 6 weeks but I usually wait  a bit longer. It really depends on how many times I have Forman grill plates in the dishwasher or heavy roasting pans, etc.

Honored Contributor

I use the dishwasher cleaner I find in the grocery store and just follow the directions.  It does a nice job.

Respected Contributor

I have an older washer and I don't run it as much as I am single. I throw in a couple of cups of vinegar every quarter or so and do a quick cycle/no heat. Comes out very fresh
Honored Contributor

Every fall when I return to Florida, I run white vinegar thru my diswasher and my coffee pots.

Honored Contributor

I've never cleaned my dishwasher - do you do this to clean the actual compartment or to clean the drains and hoses etc you can't see? The compartment of my DW is white and appears to be clean and there are no odors etc. from the drains. We do have whole house water filtering system so I don't tend to get buildup of minerals anywhere.

Trusted Contributor

I use white vinegar in the dishwasher regularly.   I also use it in place of fabric softner in the washing machine…it softens the clothes AND it cleans the machine, all at the same time & for the same money.  I buy tons of gallon jugs of white vinegar at Costco.  They always laugh because my cart is so loaded it bottles…I would rather stock up once in a while that haul it every time I go.  So many uses for white vinegar and it is so economical. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once upon a time, I somehow ended up with the inside of my dishwasher turning completely brown. Apparently, the minerals in our water lost their minds that year, and this occurred almost overnight. I tried everything...bleach, scrubbing by hand, Affresh tablets, white vinegar....you name it, I tried it. Nothing worked. Then, someone suggested a product called Dishwasher Magic. Boy is it ever. Problem completely solved....permanently. I now also use their product Washer Magic in my front load machine to keep it clean as well (although nothing substitutes for drying the seal by hand after use and leaving the door open). I think you will love it if you try it. I order mine from Amazon, but it can be found in Home Depot, Wegman's and may be Walmart as well.

Contributor

I use vinegar and the blue rinse aid, I  mix it in a bottle 50/50. Both dish's and dishwasher sparkle. I fill it whenever it get's empty, so another words it cleans with every load. You can't go wrong!

Respected Contributor

that sounds like a good tip. i will need to try it. thanks for the tip. i usually use dw magic.