Frequent Contributor

I need some help.  I was cleaning my fountain, of course it slipped out of my hands & I dropped it.

One of the angels wings & its head broke off.  I have tried using Gorilla Glue & then Loctite glue but nothing seens to stick.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Try hot glue and then after it has set, use clay or stucco to. Try and blend away the mendingg.   tedEbear

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  I will be off to Joann's &  Home Depot for my suppplies.

Honored Contributor

I haven't broken anything in a while, but used to use liquid nails.

Trusted Contributor

There are different Gorilla glues. One is a Super Glue type product and one foams up when you spray water on it.

Did you spray the area with water before you applied the Gorilla glue?

That stuff repaired the bottom of an old wooden wardrobe so it is very strong. I can't imagine it would not work on a resin fountain.

I also used it to repair a resin planter urn and it is still holding stong.

I would take some sandpaper and rough up the area before I applied the GG.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your help.  I did try the Gorilla Glue with the water.  It didn't work but I did not rough up the area with sandpaper.  I will try that again.

Trusted Contributor

After applying the GG, try to wrap somed painter's tape around the broken areas to apply pressure and hold it down.

Sounds like it needs something that will act as a vise until the glue dries.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for you help.

Respected Contributor

I think the angel on this type of tountain is made of resin.

I would normally use an epoxy glue to mend such a thing--because chemically, the bond will be the same or similar to the chemical composition of the angel. 

This is the two-part glue you mix up on a piece of foil and then apply with a toothpick or wooden bamboo skewer (because you are going to discard the foil and stick afterwards.)

I apply a LOT of epoxy and find a way to stabilize the part until it sets. This is not easy. For example, I might push one part into a styrofoam scrap and prop up the other part against the join so it rests together. 

It sets overnight. If you let it set in a hotter place (ie, outside, these days) it sets better. 

However, using epoxy is not easy and I think it's why superglue is more popular. But superglue is not water-proof. A join made with superglue will come undone if in a wet place. 

Hot glue may be the best solution as it is easy to draw a thick bead and have the part squish into it. I do not know how stable hot glue is, however, in wet places or in warm places. 

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions.