Contributor

My bathtub had been backing up, so I picked up a gallon jug of ZEP Hair Declogger from HD yesterday.  I poured the WHOLE BOTTLE down the drain, sprayed the entire bathtub with ZEP Bathroom Cleaner, and put two large pots of water on the stove to boil.  After twenty minutes, I took those 2 pots of boiling water and poured them all over the bathtub.  Not only is the drain clean, but the bathtub looks like new.  No scrubbing.  Now, I have an old, porous style tub, so I'm not sure if boiling water would be safe for a newer tub, but for mine, this worked like magic.

Honored Contributor

@WhiteRussian

Thanks for the tip!

I have very long hair and my shower drain can be problematic as a result!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

ZEP makes some great products. I like their tub and shower cleaners and also their Clear Shell Mold & Mildew Inhibitor. I spray my shower liner down with that stuff to help prevent mildew. I also like their Foaming Garbage Disposal Cleaner.

I was having trouble with my tub backing up and it wasn't hair, it was main line trouble. I tried a drain snake and hair clog cleaner and those didn't work. I used Instant Power Main Line Cleaner and that took care of it. 

Honored Contributor

DH has to take his drill with roto rooter to get the hair out of ours. If my hair does not stop falling out he won't have to do it much longer. LOL!!! My hair is so thin now I can hardly see how it could clog the drain. 

Respected Contributor

Good Tips.....but mine was a very very slow drain and guess what...

I called a plumber and you what???

He unscrewed the pop up drain, removed the hair, ran the water and it was fixed.   That was expensive but I thought since I paid to have him come, I had him look at the sink drain too.

I felt so stupid, he showed me how to unscrew the drain for future consideration....UGH!

(I was treating the drain with some organic stuff my mom had and it said within a couple weeks the stuff will dissolve and open up, it didn't so that's why I felt I needed to call a plumber)

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling That's how I clean mine, too. I bought a "zip it" locally and put it down the drain after removing the top. It's a long plastic thin deal with barbs all the way down on both sides. Cheap and effective.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz...I have short hair, and only wash it 2-3 times a week.  We were having issues with the drain running slow...I purchased an inexpensive (dollar store) screen for a sink...it fits perfectly in the opening in my tub, I am amazed at the amount of hair that this screen catches...you might try using something similar.  I put one in my husband's shower as well...he says the same thing about the amount of hair that it catches.

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@Just Bling That's how I clean mine, too. I bought a "zip it" locally and put it down the drain after removing the top. It's a long plastic thin deal with barbs all the way down on both sides. Cheap and effective.

I have to leave the room when those come out. So gross! Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

Is Zep septic tank safe?  This sounds like something that I could use!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Nightowlz...I have short hair, and only wash it 2-3 times a week.  We were having issues with the drain running slow...I purchased an inexpensive (dollar store) screen for a sink...it fits perfectly in the opening in my tub, I am amazed at the amount of hair that this screen catches...you might try using something similar.  I put one in my husband's shower as well...he says the same thing about the amount of hair that it catches.

@Mom2Dogs I already have one like this.

Image result for peerless tub screen to catch hair

Thinking about trying one like this.

Image result for peerless tub screen to catch hair