Honored Contributor

Are you hards on Irons?

[ Edited ]

One thing I just can't seem to take good care of and keep a long time are irons. I sew and I do ironing of laundry weekly so mine do get a lot of use, but I buy very good irons, not cheap ones , and yet if I get 5 years from an iron it is a bonanza. My iron here at camp just died. I will have to go buy a new one, then I'll take it home and when we come back next spring I'll bring the older one from home for up here.I never understand what I do to my irons. I think my mother had the same iron for her entire marriage of 49 years. I do all the things you are supposed to do - keep the plate clean, empty the water out when I'm done with it, use filtered tapwater. I don't know!

Trusted Contributor

I feel the same about me and irons.  My mom was a champion ironer, and taught me to iron well, and I ironed from an early age.  I think I did great ironing with a basic iron and that iron lasted forever.

I sew also, and I iron a lot of my clothes, and I remember years ago when I splurged on a Rowenta.  It didn't last long before it started leaking all over the place.  I blamed myself for not cleaning it properly.  I have since bought a couple of other good irons, and they  just don't seem to do the job as well as I remember my old basic iron doing.  Maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly....nostalgia being what it is.

So, is it me or is it the iron?  I'm just not sure.

Honored Contributor

Did somebody call me?  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

One thing I just can't seem to take good care of and keep a long time are irons. I sew and I do ironing of laundry weekly so mine do get a lot of use, but I buy very good irons, not cheap ones , and yet if I get 5 years from an iron it is a bonanza. My iron here at camp just died. I will have to go buy a new one, then I'll take it home and when we come back next spring I'll bring the older one from home for up here.I never understand what I do to my irons. I think my mother had the same iron for her entire marriage of 49 years. I do all the things you are supposed to do - keep the plate clean, empty the water out when I'm done with it, use filtered tapwater. I don't know!

@151949Like everything else, they aren't as sturdy as they were years ago.  I use Rowenta and iron my clothes every evening for work.  I don't iron ahead because I don't like crushed clothes and although I taught tailoring, I don't sew except for repairs.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you hards on Irons?

[ Edited ]

I use distilled water in my iron.  I don't think most filters remove the minerals that cause calcification.   The only way to assure you're using mineral-free water is to use distilled.  I have a simple no-frills Sunbeam steam iron I've been using over 30 years, mostly while sewing.  I remember paying $12. for it at a discount store.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've been using my Black and Decker iron for many years now.  I believe it was under $30.  Still going strong.  Tried Rowenta before that and hated it.  I'll stick with my "cheapie".

Honored Contributor

No, I've had my rowenta five years and it's going strong.  I think I still have the iron before that one.  If not, I gave it to my mother.  I upgraded for steam.

Respected Contributor

I have about a half dozen irons that I use for different things from applique to quilting to sewing to everyday ironing.  I empty them, use well water, and don't have issues. If things get a bit minerally, I fulsh them with vinegar water to clean them.  I put a mix in and let it sit then steam away on the iron pad or old towels.  Then flush with fresh water.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, hard on irons and hard on vacuum cleaners.  Oy.

Valued Contributor

I think I would have to turn it on to be hard on it. 😊